Cascara!

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
https://www.freshcup.com/what-is-cascara/

Located a source in Deer Isle Maine! in the mail and on it's way!

UPDATE: Paid $15 (includes shipping) for 8 ounce of Cascara,
I use 5-6 grams in 8 ounce of water, which comes out to 45 servings. ( 8oz = 226 grams )
This comes out to .33 cents per 8 ounce serving.

It sort of reminds me of hot cider! But the taste is similar also to tamarind with a slight tartness.

Last edited:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Just don't be shy with its use... it takes a bit to get the flavor out some casacar

I must have a good source, went by directions on wikipedia for 8 ounce water to 5 grams cascara for 7 minutes, and it was full of flavor.

I hear that it can taste different bean variety to bean, this tastes of tamarind with a slight tartness or acidity, or similar to hot cider. The more I drink it the more I like it.

Last edited:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Sounds like a way to recycle waste...
Anybody ever tried to make a liquor out of it too?

Folks in Yemen and Ethiopia have been drinking it for a very long time and call it poor mans coffee. It is a indeed used in compost but it also is an excellent drink as a tea type drink. It certainly ought to be more readily available, especially with everyone declaring vanilla bean, coffee bean, banana all going to crash as crops die to one thing or another.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I must have a good source, went by directions on wikipedia for 8 ounce water to 5 grams cascara for 7 minutes, and it was full of flavor.

I hear that it can taste different bean variety to bean, this tastes of tamarind with a slight tartness or acidity, or similar to hot cider. The more I drink it the more I like it.

That's pretty much sums up my tasting experience... different cascara seemed to change more in sweetness level vs. flavor profile - all taste very tamarindish. One of the challenges right now with casacara is the concerns around its 'food safety'. Since the product typically doesn't get washed there is some concerns of bacterial growth and if the farm was utilizing pesticides is there residual pesticides in the end product. I don't believe its legal in the UK at this moment in time.