Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BIC

Anything good from Amazon whole coffee bean buying?

This morning, I almost clicked "buying" of AmazonFresh Colombian whole bean (med roast). $15 for 32 oz?!!! (cheap enough, but is it good enough?)
    before I buy it, I just would like to ask some of your opinions about the coffees that are being sold in Amazon.
    My main concern is "freshly roasted coffee" with decent pricing from Amazon.

does anyone have some information or experience on this matter?
    thanks.

BIC
    I believe that some of our forum roasters are selling or tried to sell their beans via Amazon.
    for me, Amazon offers Prime free shipping and when I receive a bad batch, I can return without return shipping cost. so convenient and take the risk out of buying.

so basically, Amazon is 3rd seller, it is almost impossible to get "freshly roasted" beans from them?
    Let's say "freshly roasted" is about within 2 to 3 weeks from the time of the roast.

Amazon is full of pros/cons... price points are great but freshness can be tricky on Amazon. One key thing to look at is the product being fulfilled from the roaster (merchant fulfillment) or Amazon Fulfilled. When purchasing merchant fulfilled they have 2 days to fulfill the order. So it depends on their statement of how often they roast/ship. With Amazon Fulfillment or FBA orders its difficult at best to manage freshness. Typically the best you are going to see out of Amazon is about 30 days off roast.

However, at that price point its probably not Specialty Grade at best very low-quality Specialty Grade.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Amazon is full of pros/cons... price points are great but freshness can be tricky on Amazon. One key thing to look at is the product being fulfilled from the roaster (merchant fulfillment) or Amazon Fulfilled. When purchasing merchant fulfilled they have 2 days to fulfill the order. So it depends on their statement of how often they roast/ship. With Amazon Fulfillment or FBA orders its difficult at best to manage freshness. Typically the best you are going to see out of Amazon is about 30 days off roast.

However, at that price point its probably not Specialty Grade at best very low-quality Specialty Grade.
    Oh, yes, I perfectly understand that at $15 for 32oz, it can not be specialty grade. probably 77 to 78 point grade commercial beans.
    but as a Prime member and since we can return free of charge with full refund, if the coffee isn't good as advertised, it is a tremendous benefit for the Prime members and probably horrible for the seller (roaster who has to fulfill the order) if the seller has to be responsible for the returned/used coffee and shipping charges. so, will that pressure the seller to ship fast and freshly roasted beans to the buyers to avoid the returns?

I do not really mind low quality specialty coffee if I can get them rather fresh. I always believed that freshly roasted 78 is way better than 6 month old 85 point specialty bean.

You are probably right about the grading - its most likely past year crop or below specialty grade. Amazon offers roasters a tremendous market opportunity but almost impossible to make money and offer freshly roasted coffee (within 30 days of roast). Their fees are structured so you essentially have to use Fulfillment By Amazon (at least to be competitive) for shipping your product. Once you ship product into Amazon they redistribute your product to warehouses all across the US... inventory is placed where your customers are located. The problem is they don't use a standard FIFO (First In / First Out) inventory system... so you could have 6-month-old product in Warehouse A, and freshly arrived product in Warehouse B. If your closest to Warehouse B you would get the fresh roast and the product in Warehouse A would continue to sit. So essentially, as a seller, you have no control over what the end user receives.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    You are probably right about the grading - its most likely past year crop or below specialty grade. Amazon offers roasters a tremendous market opportunity but almost impossible to make money and offer freshly roasted coffee (within 30 days of roast). Their fees are structured so you essentially have to use Fulfillment By Amazon (at least to be competitive) for shipping your product. Once you ship product into Amazon they redistribute your product to warehouses all across the US... inventory is placed where your customers are located. The problem is they don't use a standard FIFO (First In / First Out) inventory system... so you could have 6-month-old product in Warehouse A, and freshly arrived product in Warehouse B. If your closest to Warehouse B you would get the fresh roast and the product in Warehouse A would continue to sit. So essentially, as a seller, you have no control over what the end user receives.
    great information. thanks musicphan.
    I guess that it is like crapshoot kind of thing. in terms of getting fresh or old beans....

On this forum, we LOVE or are Heavily Addicted to GREAT coffee.

Find a Specialty Small Batch Roaster, if you have one close by, ask to take a tour, enjoy a cupping and you will never look at Amazon again.

I was cured many yrs ago, chasing good coffee, only finding mediocre.

Now I roast for my local community and ship across the country for peeps that don't have access to a specialty roaster.

Good luck!
    Barnyard

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by derek.peris View Post
    I roast for my local community and ship across the country for peeps that don't have access to a specialty roaster.

Good luck!
    Barnyard
    what is your online sales link? perhaps, your coffee might change my mind :+)

www.barnyardcoffee.com

Roasting 13 Organic Varieties.
    Just added PNG & Costa Rica
    We sample roast on a 1k and batch roast on a 12k Diedrich Roaster.
    Addicted!
    Barnyard

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by derek.peris View Post
    www.barnyardcoffee.com

Roasting 13 Organic Varieties.
    Just added PNG & Costa Rica
    We sample roast on a 1k and batch roast on a 12k Diedrich Roaster.
    Addicted!
    Barnyard
    Hi, I checked out and wanted to buy light roast Guatemalan, but your shipping to Long Beach, CA was more than 50% of coffee cost.
    that is bit too much to accept.
    is there any special coupon code or something to lower shipping cost?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links