Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Sylvia"

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
On the reviews of the Classic at coffeegeek more that 10% of the reviews were negative. Things like rusting, too many repairs, one said good as long as nothing goes wrong. I loved the one about having to descale the Gaggia every two months. Could that be true?
I think these were all user reviews, are there places to read reviews by experienced pros who happen to review machines this far in quality/price from commercial machines? I posted this here because the machine site seems like mostly coffee shop owners with higher end equipment. I didn't figrue they'd be too up on the lower end of these two lines. Maybe I should try over there too.

Most web sites that sell these things fall all over themselves about how great these two machines are. Why does marketing have to leave out so much of the truth??? Same for the first machine I bought, it's not what they said. I should have known better. The price was around 165 but with a supposed 18 bar pump. Right! If you grind too fine or pack a little too tight it can't push the water through the group. 18 bars my butt! Thank you Capresso. I have to see if they'll take it back. I make two or three shots a day and a latte for my wife so I don't really need the Isomac Zaffiro....but I'd still like one. Just can't justify the price for my level of usage.

Ron

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
I did a little more looking around and noticed the Solis SL 90 is in a similar price range to the above machines. It's mentioned on the machine page of this forum.
There someone recomended getting the non presurized filter baskets. Can someone please comment on the difference. It's this sort of "helper" sounding feature that put me off the capresso classic machine I currently have.

Thanks

Ron