You get what you pay for

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I love when people say that they love their coffee and they only pay a couple dollars a lb. You get what you pay for. If market is at $1.25 and then you have diffs, inbound and out bound delivery, packaging overhead and a labor?? How are you getting it for a so cheap?
https://www.newsweek.com/vietnamese...ffee-used-batteries-dirt-and-rock-dust-891085
When I first got into coffee I saw a label that said 90 % coffee. SMDH.

dkrank

Feb 6, 2020
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
Yeah that's horrifying. I just read an article on molecular coffee. Won't be long before more people are buying coffee that wasn't made with coffee beans. Hopefully the molecular stuff is slightly better for you than having used batteries and dirt cut in. I'm not keen on lab food though.

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that's horrifying. I just read an article on molecular coffee. Won't be long before more people are buying coffee that wasn't made with coffee beans. Hopefully the molecular stuff is slightly better for you than having used batteries and dirt cut in. I'm not keen on lab food though.
This is a completely different issue, but very similar. I am very suspicious about engineered food also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Reading that article I wonder if I should be staying away from any coffee coming from that part of the world. Lately I've been buying coffee from Sumatra which is Indonesia. I buy whole beans directly from the roaster so I'm probably ok, but still, I wonder. Powder from batteries. Wow.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yet another reason to home roast as I know exactly what's in each batch that I do. I buy greens from a reputable supplier and have yet to even find any debris in coffee that people often do. No stones, sticks, etc. and of course I hope it stays that way.

Coffee in low quality/bulk can be so cheap why would anybody feel the need to add anything just to save a bit of $ and possibly jeopardize someone's health?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't think I have the patience to home roast but I've never found debris in any of the bags of beans I've bought. I buy from local roasters. And I'm paying $13 a pound. The one I currently have been buying from roasts right in his store and the roasting machine sits right in the middle of the customer tables. So I'm assuming he's roasting when he's closed, probably at night. But I never even thought that someone would go to the lengths these people have to adulterate their coffee.