Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kona coffee

Kona is expensive because it is grown in America, which has minimum wage laws. It isn't a very high altitude bean, and many of the most sought after coffees world-wide are grown at much higher altitudes, where coffee beans grow larger and more consistently. It's more expensive, and not necessarily better than a central American hard bean.

People tend to think Kona is the best because they vacationed there, or because of marketing.

Super Moderator
    Supply and demand is a factor as well. I am sure if they produced as much as Brazil they would not be charging as much.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I don’t know if that’s still the situation, but everyone make sure they're getting the true deal.

Genuine Kona Coffee is highly prized throughout the world for its full bodied flavor and pleasing aroma. Coffee trees thrive on the cool slopes of the Hualalai and Mauna Loa Mountains in rich volcanic soil and afternoon cloud cover.

Finally found this...check them out...good coffee.

Kona coffee-kauai-coffee-brochure-1.jpg

Kona coffee-kauai-coffee-brochure-2.jpg

I tried Kona and was not impressed. I'm looking for a coffee that has body but not overwhelming flavour. Can anyone recommend some?

If you haven't tried yet, I would suggest you look for Jamaica Blue Mountain. It has been one of the standard bearers for quality for a long time. Now in the so called "3rd wave" era, it might not rival many of the best COE coffees coming from all regions in the world of coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    If you haven't tried yet, I would suggest you look for Jamaica Blue Mountain. It has been one of the standard bearers for quality for a long time. Now in the so called "3rd wave" era, it might not rival many of the best COE coffees coming from all regions in the world of coffee!
    Based on lots of discussion over the years that seems to be much more about supply/demand than any other factor as well. I've never tried any form of it as there's NO way I'd spend anywhere close to that for ANY coffee grown. I'm sure there are lots of great coffees that will easily equal JBM for a fraction of the cost.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Yes, there tends to be a lot of the "placebo effect" in the coffee world. When you hear respected guru's in the business ooohing and awwwing over something, you take notice. I remember Penn and Teller doing a segment on bottled water. They set up a restaurant to offer a variety of bottled water proudly listed on a table tent menu, and an H2O "sommelier" to offer glowing descriptions of each. The water that would be served came straight out of the hose in back of the restaurant. It was funny to see people actually giving rave reviews of the water, and pointing out characteristics of each sample that they preferred or did not prefer...lol! Anyhow, the main reason why many coffees still held in high regard, in this day of single origin microlots, is that old guys like me won't surrender to the 3rd wavers!! LOL...just sayin'...

Guess I'm different in that I don't pay attention to what the so called 'gurus' find interesting as taste is highly subjective and experience/expectations wildly vary. What counts for me is what I find interesting from my roasting/extracting.

I totally agree with the 3rd wave crap and I'm far from impressed by most of what I've tasted over the years. That's one of the main reasons I started home roasting as many commercial artisan roasters were heading in that direction years ago and none of what I tried was worth buying again. What many seem to aim for is borderline tea with the light roast/fruit/floral passion. Just won't cut it for my taste/expectations. I also usually don't bother with single origins as I've found many to be bland and too one-dimensional compared to a solid blend (espresso specifically), but I have found some great dry process single origins lately. Attached is a pic of a Brazil I roasted just yesterday.

Kona coffee-thumbnail_20200503_162651.jpg
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links