Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kona coffee

Kona coffee

Iím a coffee nut and Iím dying to try Kona coffee but I donít wanna be disappointed! Is it worth the price?

Super Moderator
    If its a Kona blend it has to have at least 3%(unless they upped it to 10%). If you buy single origin it has to be 100%. That being said...there are multiple of grades. Make sure you buy "extra fancy". If you are looking for a smooth cup this is it. Acidity so low its sweet.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    If its a Kona blend it has to have at least 3%(unless they upped it to 10%). If you buy single origin it has to be 100%. That being said...there are multiple of grades. Make sure you buy "extra fancy". If you are looking for a smooth cup this is it. Acidity so low its sweet.
    Sweet thanks topher

I have seen alot of dark roast Kona .............you gotta know that is shiite. All nuance is lost (if it is real) unless you are drinking a lighter roast

100% Kona has been quite good whenever I have roasted it, it is more expensive than coffees that are just as good at a lower price point. I have justified purchasing it from time to time because it is a product of the USA. Something I can't seem to do for say Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee which is also good but expensive.

If you find quality beans roasted well you will not be disappointed IMO.
    Last edited by 211bma; 04-09-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    I have seen alot of dark roast Kona .............you gotta know that is shiite. All nuance is lost (if it is real) unless you are drinking a lighter roast
    Actually, Wallace, I was recently given a 12oz bag of Kona coffee by a customer who travels to Hawaii every year and goes to this same grower everytime, but don't have a picture of the label I took just before my phone doing a factory reset and losing it, grrrr! Anyhow, it was a dark roast, and I was quite impressed with the taste. It was not harsh or over roasted in taste. I would say that if you prefer light roast, that this is not worth the money to get the dark roast, but if you like dark roast, you will not find a better product. They seem to know their beans!! Btw, I'm good friends with Alex Yoon. Actually went to Guatemala with him about two years ago.

Cheers!

Doug

I would say its absolutely worth it, I treat myself to it occasionally. Volcanica coffee has some extra fancy for sale and will qualify for free 2 day air and Koa Coffee also has quite a few grades and estates to choose from but are roasted a little darker, both sell 100% Kona. Definitely give it a try!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    True but there are different levels of quality. 100% Kona Prime is not as expensive as extra fancy....but its still 100% Kona.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

To answer the question "is it worth the price?":
    No-one can determine that except you. If you really like it, you might consider it to be worth the price.
    I would definitely recommend you try it as that is the only way to decide.

According to my palate and my wallet (I'm very frugal), no way is it worth the massive price.
    It's good, but not THAT good.
    I feel the same way about Jamaican Blue Mountain.
    But that's my opinion for what it's worth.

I enjoy finding coffees that offer a relatively great taste for a relatively low price.
    It is a permanent research project ......

Kona Joe is one of the few Kona coffee plantations that grow, buy, toast and sell - that's all, a coffee machine that uses the grill system, like in wineries. There is a fee, but it's worth it - and the coffee is great !!https://grilliam.com/
    Last edited by Antony44; 04-15-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links