Honey Process for Coffee.

I am on the modified Atkins diet and can only have twenty grams of carbs a day. I have seen coffee roasters on their websites mention about using the honey process for washing the beans. I really want to know the explicit details on how the process works and if it adds any sugar to the coffee.

Thank you Doug. The article really thoroughly explained the process which debunked my theory. When I read the honey process that some roasters use, I took it at face value and thought roasters were literally using honey to do the wash.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah...I learned some things from that article myself...which is why I looked it up. I could tell you what I know, but that wouldn't have been very much! LOL! It is unfortunate that the roasters you heard about the honey process from, weren't clear that is a way to process harvested coffee cherries to get to the final export product which the roasters have no control over. Of course the growers make decisions to differentiate their product as well.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
There are a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of sugars imparted into the coffee but at a different molecular level than typical glucose sugars. Both natural and honey processed coffees are similarly processed which adds the sweetness/fruity notes to a coffee. I'm certainly not a doctor but I wouldn't imagine that there are any sugar differences between processes.