Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    I think those descriptive tasting notes are merely a gimmick by the industry to create this allure that the wine industry has adopted. Frankly, I've never tasted any of the things they describe in some of the wines I've drunk. I just know if I like it or not. And frankly, roof tar and apshalt aren't desirable tastes that I want in my wine or coffee, yet read enough of these things and you'll see them mentioned. It just makes me laugh.
    i was thinking it was a gimmmick too

I also noticed that many coffee varieties have a chocolate or fruit tone.
    But personally I like it. I like to try something new, new flavors, new varieties and so on. And this applies to everything, not just coffee. I'm not a conservative at all.
    Because for example, my father is very conservative. He has been drinking green tea of the same variety all his life. I do not understand how he did not get bored.
    And I'm happy to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    I think those descriptive tasting notes are merely a gimmick by the industry to create this allure that the wine industry has adopted. Frankly, I've never tasted any of the things they describe in some of the wines I've drunk. I just know if I like it or not. And frankly, roof tar and apshalt aren't desirable tastes that I want in my wine or coffee, yet read enough of these things and you'll see them mentioned. It just makes me laugh.
    I will say that I do consume only espresso and roast coffee specifically for that. I mention that as the pressure can definitely bring out notes that might be hidden by other brew methods. I can definitely vouch for different coffees having all sorts of noticeable notes depending on origin, process method and roast (as mentioned). In various coffees I roast I easily detect strong notes of say chocolate (think unsweetened baker's cocoa), peanut, pecan, different berries like strawberry, blueberry, even blackberry. Some also give off strong citrus notes like tangerine, lemon, those sorts of things. What I like to do is find dry processed coffees from Central/South America and they can sometimes give off fruit-like notes, but I roast a bit darker to mute those and really bring out the bold/murky notes, like chocolate, caramel, nut, etc. Some coffees can indeed smell like a candy bar, chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

I like my coffee to have hints of moss, wet stone, roof tar, ashphalt, cigarette butts, coriander and several days old mussels.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Reads like the majority of what's available... I personally don't care for the delicate notes many coffees possess and expect espresso to taste like very bold coffee, but equally as important for me is the texture. I push for heavy body/crema as much as I do for flavor as IMBHO it makes espresso what it is.

I'll also mention that I won't waste time/effort/$ on the lighter/underdeveloped stuff. Most of what I've tried in the past wasn't much more than glorified tea with the insane brightness, delicate notes, etc. So yeah I do appreciate coffee flavored coffee, lmao.
    Last edited by shadow745; 11-28-2020 at 12:39 PM.

I personally can’t give up any of the above, especially chocolate because every time I drink a coffee, it doesn’t have the same effect and taste without chocolate. I know you will or that it may be addictive but I can’t give up anyway and I love to try different types of chocolate. After doing san francisco food tours I was so amazed by the variety of chocolates and sweets they offer there, that I started shopping very often there and those products became my favorite ones. Does anyone here have the same preferences?
    Last edited by Ansand; 01-27-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansand View Post
    I personally can’t give up any of the above, especially chocolate because every time I drink a coffee, it doesn’t have the same effect and taste without chocolate. I know you will or that it may be addictive but I can’t give up anyway and I love to try different types of chocolate. After doing san francisco food tours I was so amazed by the variety of chocolates and sweets they offer there, that I started shopping very often there and those products became my favorite ones. Does anyone here have the same preferences?
    I also order from them quite often. My kids love these chocolates.

Hi All. I thought it's time for an update on my search for coffee with a lack of the fruitiness, chocolate, citrus or berries tones. I hope I don't violate this forums policy, by giving you product names.

At our local Italian Market I have made friends due to frequent visits. Around Christmas, in our general discussion, I brought up this subject. Of course the chap had a suggestion. This time I was inclined to trust it, although for just testing it's a push to buy 1 KG, but it is the brand that they use for their Espresso bar. However he was not finished with his advice. He told me to get the flavour that I was looking for, I should really get an Espresso maker for at home. Hmm. Again expensive for just "trying" it.

That's when he came up with the best advice. He said "you have a any reward points" (yes the wording is just as he said it? Authentic). Why yes, I have. Checked my points and got a maker.

This is where I hope I don't offend. The Espresso Maker is a DeLonghi Dedicata, an excellent machine with a small footprint for a small counter top, and no tank to keep heated, and only 40 seconds to be ready to brew. Love it.

For my next hope of not offending. The coffee. It is a brand, so the chance of getting it again is good. It's Kimbo, Espresso Italiano, Crema Intensa. For filter preparation it is disapointing, the citric flavour came out. But through the DeLonghi, no citric. It is essentially perfect. For all options, single, double, cappuccino, or simply two button presses of double for a regular cup of coffee, perfect.

I am now happy. My search has ended. At least until either the machine quits, or the coffee brand changes.

Hope this is useful to all you coffee lovers.
    Stay Healthy, strauss.
    Last edited by strauss44; 01-30-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by strauss44 View Post
    Hi All. I thought it's time for an update on my search for coffee with a lack of the fruitiness, chocolate, citrus or berries tones. I hope I don't violate this forums policy, by giving you product names.

At our local Italian Market I have made friends due to frequent visits. Around Christmas, in our general discussion, I brought up this subject. Of course the chap had a suggestion. This time I was inclined to trust it, although for just testing it's a push to buy 1 KG, but it is the brand that they use for their Espresso bar. However he was not finished with his advice. He told me to get the flavour that I was looking for, I should really get an Espresso maker for at home. Hmm. Again expensive for just "trying" it.

That's when he came up with the best advice. He said "you have a any reward points" (yes the wording is just as he said it? Authentic). Why yes, I have. Checked my points and got a maker.

This is where I hope I don't offend. The Espresso Maker is a DeLonghi Dedicata, an excellent machine with a small footprint for a small counter top, and no tank to keep heated, and only 40 seconds to be ready to brew. Love it.

For my next hope of not offending. The coffee. It is a brand, so the chance of getting it again is good. It's Kimbo, Espresso Italiano, Crema Intensa. For filter preparation it is disapointing, the citric flavour came out. But through the DeLonghi, no citric. It is essentially perfect. For all options, single, double, cappuccino, or simply two button presses of double for a regular cup of coffee, perfect.

I am now happy. My search has ended. At least until either the machine quits, or the coffee brand changes.

Hope this is useful to all you coffee lovers.
    Stay Healthy, strauss.
    Hello Strauss44,

It sounds like your new friend from the Italian Market gave you some good advice. Using your rewards points to buy a coffee maker was a very good idea.

It's good to know that you found a coffee (and a coffee maker) that's perfect for you. It's well worth the search when you finally find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the update.

~ Rose

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Hello Strauss44,

It sounds like your new friend from the Italian Market gave you some good advice. Using your rewards points to buy a coffee maker was a very good idea.

It's good to know that you found a coffee (and a coffee maker) that's perfect for you. It's well worth the search when you finally find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the update.

~ Rose
    Hi Rose,

Thanks for your sentiments. It was a young (very) / old situation . The chap was very young, I am fairly old. So why would I pay attention to a young chap. Almost boyish. What would he know about "my" coffee tastes.

But I am not ready to accept full criticism. It is my age long experience that helped. The chap grew up in Northern Italy, the part that pokes up in to Austria. From experience I do know that in general Europeans have a different taste for coffee than North American born (notice I said in general, so please no flame war). This chap grew up in Italy just long enough to have been part of the coffee experience. And it is experienced different "over" there. It is more spiritual. A barista would NEVER get away with making even just an intermediate cup or Tasse. The customers would complain very indignantly. So it was worth to pay attention to the young chap.

All the Best,
    strauss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links