Grind coffee beans

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
C'mon. If you know coffee, you know that you can never get good consistency with those blade grinders like the one I used to have back in the dark days before I understood these things. wstsider is 100% correct. In response, just no.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
The problem is that the blender does not let the pieces "drop through" once they have reached the desired size. A certain percentage of the coffee gets ground and reground and reground yet again, into "fines" like talcum powder. These fines add to the bitterness.

I didn't quite understand this, and used a blade grinder for years. What a difference a burr grinder makes! I am freaking serious. IMO, the two best things you can do to improve your coffee (after you have decided to go whole bean and purchase good coffee), is to get a digital kitchen scale to make sure your ratio is right, and get a burr grinder to reduce/prevent fines. Makes the most difference, best bang for your buck.

All the other things matter, but matter far less IMO. What I mean is that, for example, worrying about brew temperature (as you can with some of the higher end drip machines) IMO is a ridiculous waste of time if you don't have the water to coffee ratio sorted out, or are using a blade grinder. My experience going after a pour over technique but using a blade grinder, one is missing so much that is lovely about coffee flavor, and kind of just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

My opinions entirely YMMV everyone's taste is different. A stove top percolator and Carnation evaporated milk makes coffee that won world wars, so to each his own.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The problem is that the blender does not let the pieces "drop through" once they have reached the desired size. A certain percentage of the coffee gets ground and reground and reground yet again, into "fines" like talcum powder. These fines add to the bitterness.

I didn't quite understand this, and used a blade grinder for years. What a difference a burr grinder makes! I am freaking serious. IMO, the two best things you can do to improve your coffee (after you have decided to go whole bean and purchase good coffee), is to get a digital kitchen scale to make sure your ratio is right, and get a burr grinder to reduce/prevent fines. Makes the most difference, best bang for your buck.

All the other things matter, but matter far less IMO. What I mean is that, for example, worrying about brew temperature (as you can with some of the higher end drip machines) IMO is a ridiculous waste of time if you don't have the water to coffee ratio sorted out, or are using a blade grinder. My experience going after a pour over technique but using a blade grinder, one is missing so much that is lovely about coffee flavor, and kind of just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

My opinions entirely YMMV everyone's taste is different. A stove top percolator and Carnation evaporated milk makes coffee that won world wars, so to each his own.
Show us the way to coffee nirvana...