Help Please: Trying to find green coffee beans in Hawaii

Neilcoffee

Oct 12, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I recently moved to Hawaii from Northern Cal and used to use Sweet Marias to purchase green beans. However, due to agricultural limitations, Hawaii doesn't allow mainland coffee products to be shipped here. I'm trying to find any information on where to find green beans on any of the Hawaiian islands (not just the regular Kona coffee). Thank you

Neilcoffee

Oct 12, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know where to buy green beans on Hawaii (I'm not necessarily interested in Kona beans)? The mainland distributors aren't allowed to ship here due to agricultural laws. Thank you

Hydroid

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Which island are you on? That might be a tough one. Maybe you could reach out to some of the locals involved in the farms or something.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I was in Oahu this past march and i met the manager at Waialua Coffee on the North shore. They produce green beans there and also import some. There is also Green World Coffee Farm in Wahiawo that had a good green inventory of various origin also but Waialua are more of a producer so you may have better luck with them first. Hope this help. I will visit again Hawai when Covid permit, Maui and again Oahu next time (hopefully somewhere in 2021). Love the place, wonderful place.

LeahHodges

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I was in Oahu this past march and i met the manager at Waialua Coffee on the North shore. They produce green beans there and also import some. There is also Green World Coffee Farm in Wahiawo that had a good green inventory of various origin also but Waialua are more of a producer so you may have better luck with them first. Hope this help. I will visit again Hawai when Covid permit, Maui and again Oahu next time (hopefully somewhere in 2021). Love the place, wonderful place.
such interesting story
I love Oahu

BBRoast

Apr 8, 2020
Visit site
Aloha, NeilCoffee. Welcome to Hawaiʻi. Legally, you canʻt purchase green bean and have it shipped to Hawaii without a Dept of Agriculture permit. There is a major coffee industry here that they are under a lot of pressure to protect. You also cannot walk into any store/roastery and purchase them. The roastery will lose their permit. The Dept of Ag would also require you to apply for a storage permit as well...with a site inspection.
That being said, I know that there are some companies on the mainland who are online and will ship (illegally or unknowingly) small amounts typical size to satisfy a home roaster via mail. I have a legal small coffee roasting company here on Oahu and understand the Dept of Ag concerns and will never jeopardize my permit status. I also sympathize with your confusion and frustrations as I "have been there". When you finally make sense of all the coffee laws here you will realize that many do not make sense. Good luck in your search.

PS Try Kaʻu if you have not been impressed with or want something different than the Kona. I love it. Itʻs an excellent local coffee located adjacent to Kona. I do not own a farm there but I do sell it to my customers along with several Central and South American origins.

czcusco

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Oh wow didn’t know Hawaii had such a strict law about coffee bean like California has on gun laws. Learned something new today. [emoji106]