Kona Coffee & Tea

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
Kona Coffee and Tea recently won a Gevalia Kaffe sponsored Kona Coffee Cuping Contest (for anyone confused Kona is an island of Hawaii USA). Beating out 70 other reputable Kona Coffee farmers who submitted a 50 lbs sample for cupping.
The full article is at pacific.bizjournals.

Does anyone have comments about Kona style coffee? I am already looking into finding some samples.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Kona rocks!! It is low acidity and naturally sweet...but I noticed you said kona style...be careful with styles...I mean what do they mean by style...the roaster was wearing a floral shirt? If you are going to drink kona buy 100% kona fancy or extra fancy(grades) even with kona blends they usually use less expensive beans that will destroy the kona characteristics.

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Kona

I just bought some Kona for my mom for Christmas:

http://www.peleplantations.com/catalog/konacoffee.htm

"2001 First Place Winner Kona Coffee Cupping Contest Wood's Certified Organic Captain Cook Estate

We are proud that this years winner, who competed against 60 other estates, is Merle and Kathy Wood's Certified Organic Coffee. The professional judges voted that this premium, Certified Organic Kona Coffee, was first in fragrance, aroma, flavor and body. The Kona flavor in this full-bodied cup is rich, intense and sweet with notes of spice and red wine.
"

The CoffeeReview.com rated a sister coffee from this site:

"Pele Plantations Brocksen Gate Estate Kona, Pele Roast
Honaunau, Hawaii Reviewed: February 2002
Overall Rating: 92 points

Aroma: 9
Acidity: 8
Body: 8
Flavor: 9
Aftertaste: 8
Roast (Agtron): Dark/Medium (44/51)

Origin: Kona growing region, Big Island of Hawaii, Hawaii

Notes: Brocksen Gate won the Gevalia Kona Coffee Cupping Contest in 1998 and was a finalist in 1999. The small farm is transitional organic, meaning it follows organic growing procedures, but has not done so long enough to receive full organic certification. Pele Plantations offers several boutique Kona estate coffees by mail, all roasted to customers preferences on a small Sivitz air roaster. Pele roast is a proprietary name for a medium-dark roast typically called Vienna or full-city. Visit www.peleplantations.com or call1-800-366-0487 for more info.

Blind Assessment: A purists cup: big, authoritative, powerfully but sweetly acidy, complete. The roast rounds the dry fruit tones toward chocolate but leaves the robustly rich acidity intact.

Who should drink it: Those who can handle the cabernet-like richness and acidy power of a classic pre-robusta American cup.
"

This is a bit of overkill for my mom, who usually drinks 8 O'Clock Colombian, but she's a Hawaii fanatic, and it's the thought that counts, no?

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
... (for anyone confused Kona is an island of Hawaii USA)....

Kona is on the "Big Island" of the Hawaiian chain of Islands. It is offically called "Hawaii". "Kona" is a 20 mile stretch of coast on the leeward side of the island where unique coffee got its name. Much like "Champagne" in France, Kona coffee is only from this small area. Th coffee plant was brought to the Kona district in 1828 by Samuel Reverend Ruggles, from Brazilian cuttings.

There is a battle to preserve the "Kona" name and require bold lettering that states 100% Kona coffee and blends using the name be a minimum of 10% and clearly state that it is a blend or "Kona Style".

I am researching Kona coffees and welcome any info if someone wishes to start a private dialogue. I will be visiting Kona again this year.

Tintinet: how did you like the Pele? How did it go fro your folks? Are you still a customer?

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
...but I noticed you said kona style...be careful with styles...I mean what do they mean by style...the roaster was wearing a floral shirt?

I've spent all day writing a sales plan for a meeting back East on Wednesday; my heads about to explode! But when I saw your comment on "....wearing a floral shirt?" I laughed out loud. I needed that. BTW, I'm a deli aficionado, and the one that always gets me is "NY Style Deli." I'm always afraid the place will be serving Pastrami & Corned Beef on "white bread with mayo!" (illegal in several counties throughout the US and the World!) :!:

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
You may know Mike McGinness of Compass Coffee Roasting in Vancouver, WA. He went from Kona-Coffeegeek to retail shop owner, to evidently partner in a roastery/retailing company. I believe he has several HI coffee trips under his belt, and as I remember, was understandably "all about Kona."

I'd imagine he would know the reputable wholesalers/suppliers. You didn't say what volume level you were considering, or whether you were looking for green or roasted? He'd certainly have the inside skinny on all of that. I was surprised when I searched under his old Paradise Coffee Cafe website. It was gone. Maybe he dissolved it when he transitioned into the partnership at Compass. Their website is impressive, www.compasscoffeeroasting.com , but I didn't see anything specific to Kona? I left him a voice message. Maybe he'll call me back to update. (?)

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I am considering a few options. One is purchase of a plantation.
Another is buying quantity of green coffee and processing.

I'd love to talk to Mike if possible.