Optimum drinking time after roasting

pikelet

Oct 19, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
What is the optimum time after roasting for the coffee bean to be consumed? For optimum flavor and taste, does the bean need to "settle" for several days after roasting? Many thanks...

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
That is a subject that is open for debate. Some coffees lend themselves well to resting 24 hours(sometimes more, sometimes less) to develop and offer a more balanced cup, or flavor dimension.
However, when cupping a new sample we always cup just after it has cooled.
It is my opinion that coffee is really at its peak for about the first week after roasting. After that you can tell that it was roasted more than a week ago.
That's coffee for you! It is a natural product, and there are so many variables to take into account.

Drink it fresh, and drink it often!

Alex
www.cohvecacoffee.com

pikelet

Oct 19, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Alex - thanks for the response. If I can trouble you (or anyone else) with one other question: - is it the bean type or the roasting process itself that determines whether resting is necessary? Also, presumably when resting, the bean would be kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidisation.
Thanks and best regards,

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
If you are home roasting in the evening by morning the beans should haved degassed enough for the best flavor. It is OK to drink it right away but you will get a different flavor after degassing. Why don't you take some notes to see the difference your self? If you have some one way gas valved bags that is the best storage container.
:D :lol:

mcohveca

Aug 21, 2005
PA
Visit site
Well, the type of bean plays a significant role in whether or not to let rest. It is more of an art in this respect. You have to taste, and taste, and then taste some more. The best way to learn is to try it. Roast some coffee, taste some right away, let some rest for one day-taste it, and then try the remainder on the third day. Take notes while doing this and you will discover quite a bit.
I don't think there is a solid rule for which coffee should be rested, although I see the deeper roasted coffee accepting a rest better.
And yes, use an airtight container for the resting.
Hope this helps.