Help with Guatemala beans!

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Please could you advise what is the best roasting style for Guatemala Huehuetenango? Do you use it as single origin or could you recomend a good mix with it?
could you tell me anything about Colombia Excelso, E.P., Tolima, Costa Rica SHB, TUJ San M. Tarrazu and Nicaraguan Matagalpa / Jinotega? I roast popayan supremo and Cumbre Tarazu and like it, but now I have to buy something else. As about Nicaraguan coffee -- I have no idea about that.

Hope for some advice.

Temuri

briadea

Jan 10, 2005
Visit site
Guatemala beans

Guatemala Beans are so unique that I wouldn't advise mixing them with any other. They have a flavor all their own and I have always enjoyed them. Why spoil their taste with another bean? Why would you want to mix other beans with them?

cawi

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
Costa Rica

Highly recommend Costa Rica Tres Rios SHB. Well-rounded and affordable. It is one of our best selling beans. Personally prefer supremo over excelso but its always fun to cup multiple colombians together and see the difference.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
nzroaster said:
I like to use the guatemala as a feature in a blend, adds character. Also great as a SO too. Roast just shy of 2nd - excellent.
I roasted it to second crack (a few csnaps only) and it is really good. It has no more smokeness (some heavy, smoky taste), now it is very aromatic and light coffee. It is really good.

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
I just roasted a Guatemala Huehuetenango to a dark roast (mid-2nd crack, about 455 degrees), and it is fantastic! Not bitter, can still taste many of the characteristics of the bean.
Ellie

The best roast is going to be a matter of personal taste, try roasting it a few time in small batches, each batch a little bit hotter than the previous. The flavor will change and different characteristics will introduce themselves, change and then be overwhelmed by other flavors. It will also depend on the bean. We have teh temp, ect. that we roast our Guat to, but I cannot tell you as I would like to keep my job, but each variety of Guat is differnt, and since you most likely have a differnt plantation, grown at a differnt elevation, in different soil conditions than I do what we do is most likely not relavent anyway.
Try several different roasts and cup them all, invite some people who know thier coffee, and see which one you like the best.
I also suggest brewing the coffee strong as possible for cupping, I always liked the 1/4 cup of beans makes 8 ounces of coffee strength ;-)

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
The Guatemalen Antigua bean has been compared to Jamacian Blue Mountain for its excellent balance and smoothness. I like it roasting it to med dark (just bordering 2nd crack) to retain it's character but all some smokiness. It's great as a SO.

Cost Rican Tarrazu makes a well rounded cup of coffee as well. It's very good slow roasted to med dark.