Dry mouth from coffee

jeff54321

Nov 12, 2005
Visit site
I posted this question in the health forum a few days back with no results. I thought that I would give it a try here where all the activity seems to be.

Some coffees cause very dry puckered mouth and others do not. Does anyone know what the difference is between coffees that cause this and those that do not?

Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this.

Jeff

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
wow jeff...

ive heard of plenty of side effects from drinking coffee but a dry feeling...no
if i may ask...how much coffee do you drink?

the only time...i think, i would get a dry feeling in my mouth is if i dont have enough coffee to start with.

i dont just drink coffee for the taste...i drink it when i thirsty aswell.
so, in other words i drink it like water.

maybe youre putting too much sugar in your coffee.
otherwise...just stick to the coffee that dont give you the dry taste, keep to what you know works for you.

hope you will find an answer...i would like to know what is the cuase.

ElPugDiablo

jeff54321 said:
I posted this question in the health forum a few days back with no results. I thought that I would give it a try here where all the activity seems to be.

Some coffees cause very dry puckered mouth and others do not. Does anyone know what the difference is between coffees that cause this and those that do not?

Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this.

Jeff

In young red wine, tannin causes this mouth puckering sensation. In coffee, I think acidity (not the same as sourness) without fruitiness cause this puckering effect.

jeff54321

Nov 12, 2005
Visit site
cindy said:
wow jeff...

ive heard of plenty of side effects from drinking coffee but a dry feeling...no
if i may ask...how much coffee do you drink?

Two cups a day usually. The first time I (we) noticed this was a coffee from a local roaster in Texas. Drink one cup of coffee and wind up with instant dry mouth and throat. Had this coffee many times and always the same result. That was many months ago and then we didn't experience it again until last week when we got coffee from a local roaster in another state. Same thing......drink the coffee and then dry mouth and throat. We search out quality coffee and rarely have this experience but it is unmistakeable when it occurs and both my wife and I react in the same way. Neither of us use sugar.

lionsgate

It sounds like the beans were scorched, (ie... dropped when the roaster was too hot). If this happens, you can't really tell from the roast color, only from the taste, which might be ashy, flat or dead.

Another possibility... it a very dark roast? If the bean gets much past a French Roast stage, the sugars carmelize and turn bitter. The loss of acid at this stage my cause a dry "mouthfeel".

What is the varietal (Kenya, Guat, etc)?

Regardless of the cause, I would call or email the roaster and ask for a refund or replacement bag.