Chicory Coffee

iluvink

Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
I have had some of this coffee when visiting New Orleans, and like the initial flavor, but it quickly when south. I have the feeling that with the proper beans, and roasting/processing, it could be good coffee. Has anyone had a really good Chicory coffee, or does that not even exist?

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
I like what I know as 'French Blend', a mixture of coffee and (I think) dried, ground chicory root. However, I only buy it infrequently as the only source I've found is the local supermarket's own brand and I normally purchase Fair Trade coffee.

Is this this the kind of brew you mean?

Wulf

iluvink

Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes..that's it. I have seen some in the grocery store, but never in the "gourmet" coffee areas on web pages and such. I guess it's not a "top notch" tye of coffee.

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
Chicory coffee, or French Blend is a style of coffee that is popular in Louisiana cafes particularly in New Orleans.

It is one of those coffee cultural icons from the French influence on New Orleans, and something everyone should try if they find themselves traveling through New Orleans. It isn't too popular outside of the state of Lousiana though, and although I have in the past seen coffee with chicory on store shelves I have yet to purchase or try it myself.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Chicory was used during the great depression to cut coffee..so it would last longer...I personally do not like the stuff....but I will tell you this...people in the south swear by it!

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
topher said:
Chicory was used during the great depression to cut coffee..so it would last longer...I personally do not like the stuff....but I will tell you this...people in the south swear by it!
That's why you don't find it in gourmet coffee places - it's adulterated coffee, so I guess that's why they don't sell it. I still like it though - if some people like to alter coffee by adding milk, I don't feel too bad about altering it by adding chicory :D

Wulf

Rowley

Mar 7, 2003
California
Visit site
topher said:
Milk doesn't smell like horse urine :shock:
lol

I tryed some chicory coffee last night, not half bad. It was very well made, the flavor has a definatly (urine?) unique change to the bitterness. I did like it though, and may even buy another pound of chicory coffee sometime.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
hey pinellas perk...Berns uses a wee bit in their coffee...also Barnies used to have a new orleans blend...they also used to sell straight chicory....as before...YUCK!

rosez36

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
chicory?

hi! If you don't mind me asking... what the hell is chicory? :oops: I am from Australia and am sure I have never heard of the stuff. It doesn't sound too good though.
R*SE

jl55378008

Feb 4, 2004
Visit site
i'm from louisiana, and i've been drinking coffee and chicory all my life. it seems to give the coffee a reddish tint if you make it really strong, and it's pretty hard to make it anything but strong. this stuff definitely will put hair on your chest, but i guess if you drink enough of it, you learn to love it.

if you're ever in new orleans, you MUST stop by the Cafe Du Monde on decatur street for a cup (preferably after midnight). until then, see if you can find a place that sells Community coffee. this is real new orleans coffee and chicory. there's also CDM, which i've never had, and therefore can't vouch for.

make it really strong, and don't be afraid to put some cream in it. i find that cream actually brings out a sweetness in the coffee that i've never tasted in any other coffee. it's delicious.