which green beans ?

jstirton

Feb 11, 2006
Visit site
We need green bean advise. We are trying to roast our own beans for our future drive thru and coffee bar/car wash. We still have a few months but time it running out. We can't find green beans we like?

We have a new table roaster that seems to be working fine it's just the different beans we have tried ( 200lb various) are kinda flat. any suggestions? my favorite coffee right now is Zoka, maybe I'm not being realistic!

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
There is a lot of additional information that is necessary in order for anyone to intelligently answer your question:

For example, what origins have you tried that you like and why? What origins have you sampled and what has been your roast profile? You mentioned Zoka; which of their coffees and what characteristics of these coffees (aroma, body, mouthfeel, taste) do you like?

You have mentioned that all of the coffees you have sampled yourself are "flat." In addition to the product you are using, could this possibly point to a some problem with your roasting or cupping processes?

With a little more information, perhaps someone may make a suggestion of which origins you may wish to consider.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I agree. Zoka is a local roasting company in my home state. Not a single origin or blend of coffees. Also what type of table top roaster are you referring to? Is it a drum sample roaster, 1 pound roaster, or hot air type roaster? Also do you have any experience in roasting yourself or do you know someone that can roast for you? The flat taste could come from old beans, roasting techique, or tasting the coffee too soon after roast. Or a number of other factors.