coffee freshness

Zigmus

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I like to grind my own coffee and drink it at work using my small brewer that I have in my cubicle, but i'm moving into a larger office, and i'm worried about a grinder being too loud to use in that kind of an office environment. If I were to grind my beans at home, and vacuum seal individual amounts for 1 pot, how long would it last in the bag?

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
~75% of the coffees degassing is done in the grinding.
So it depends on the quality of your coffee (no point pre-grinding anything remarkable) and your personal standard.
Based on what is generally available in an office setting,
you will probably still come out worlds ahead.

BeanBros

Mar 20, 2007
Inland Nortwest
Visit site
Freshness is EVERYTHING!

The freshness of your grounds when you brew is one of the most significant factors in a quality cup of coffee. As a general rule of thumb, I give freshly ground beans two days before I consider them stale.

Julius Caesar

Mar 21, 2007
Cardiff UK
Visit site
Coffee Freshness

Hi,
Coffee freshness depends on the natural oil in the coffee not drying out - in a commercial environment you would normally say 12 hours but if you grind and keep the coffee cool you can normally get several days - you will know if the coffee is fresh if you continue to get a creamy froth on the coffee - crema- this is normally talked about more for espresso coffee but is relevant for filter as well- it just the oil in the coffee rising to the surface.