Brewing Turkish Grind in a Drip Machine...?

derekoneseven

May 14, 2007
Visit site
I''ve just made some coffee in a drip machine. I am wondering if anyone else has done this. It actually tastes quite good, if a little light, though the coffee is advertised as light. Does anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations as to whether i should continue doing this or just brew it classically in a pot.

Thanks

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Brewing very finely ground coffee, such as coffee intended for Turkish coffee preparation, will cause overextraction of the coffee -- exposing too great a surface area of the coffee particles to water. The resulting beverage will be bitter from the acids and other chemical compounds that are pulled out by the water; chemicals which otherwise are intended to stay with the coffee.

I suggest that you should prepare Turkish coffee as it is intended, such as the method shown here: http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/turkishcoffee

Alternatively, use a more coarse ground for proper extract during drip brew. You can experiment with brew volumes and grind settings to find the best balance.

Good luck,

Andrew