Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to find the perfect water/coffee ratio

This is a discussion on Trying to find the perfect water/coffee ratio within the Coffee Beans & Espresso Beans forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; When I make coffee, it is often hit or miss when it comes to strength. I''d like to know how to decide the best ratio ...

Trying to find the perfect water/coffee ratio

When I make coffee, it is often hit or miss when it comes to strength. I''d like to know how to decide the best ratio of water to coffee. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS

Here is a text book answer. For a standard automatic drip machine use 1-2 tablespoons of ground coffee for every 6 ounces of water.

French Press, 10 tbsp per 1 liter 33/fl oz/ 4 cups of water.

The text book answer is a great way to start. Make just enough for a cup and start there, then adjust the strength to your individual taste. The coffee origin does make a difference so you may need to experiment each time you try a new coffee. For example, for the typical coffee drinker, I would recommend using less Kona coffee for their brew because it tends to have a stronger, bolder taste. Hope this helps.

7.25 g per 125-150 ml
    John Piquet
    caffe d'bolla
    Salt Lake City, UT
    twitter.com/caffedbolla

Keep in mind a finer grind brews stronger than a coarser grind when experimenting. Use filtered or bottled water if possible as the water impurities cause different tastes to become more prominent in different coffees.

This also always had me confused and I wonder if anyone could take this any further. Here''s the deal:

Nearly all coffee products say 1 - 2 Tablespoons for every 6 or 8 oz. of water. Okay. I use your standard drip coffee maker. So, if I want a full pot of coffee, 12 cups usually, then I need to throw 12 - 24 tablespoons of coffee grounds into the filter/basket? This just seems a little too much to me. Or am I wrong? I grind my coffee very fine in order to squeeze out all the flavor of the bean and I like the strong taste. But, it would seem that if I used this much on a full pot, then it would almost be undrinkable.

I have found that around 1/2 to 3/4 of of cup of fine grounds will make a nice strong pot of coffee. Why don''t the numbers add up?

Quote Originally Posted by Drakyn
    This also always had me confused and I wonder if anyone could take this any further. Here''s the deal:

Nearly all coffee products say 1 - 2 Tablespoons for every 6 or 8 oz. of water. Okay. I use your standard drip coffee maker. So, if I want a full pot of coffee, 12 cups usually, then I need to throw 12 - 24 tablespoons of coffee grounds into the filter/basket? This just seems a little too much to me. Or am I wrong? I grind my coffee very fine in order to squeeze out all the flavor of the bean and I like the strong taste. But, it would seem that if I used this much on a full pot, then it would almost be undrinkable.

I have found that around 1/2 to 3/4 of of cup of fine grounds will make a nice strong pot of coffee. Why don''t the numbers add up?
    12 cups at 6 to 8 ounce = 72 to 84 ounce of liquid. Is the volume correct? You should measure how much water is 12 cups for your machine. You should then weight your coffee. A rough translation of John P's metric measurement means use 2 ounces (1/8 of a pound, I would use a little less, but that is my preference) of coffee for 32 ounces (2 pints) of water. Once you know the correct dosage you can then translate that to table spoon or cup.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

gotta stick in my 2 cents. 1-2 T of coffee per cup (6-8 oz) is not too strong at all. the thing is, for it to taste good, the coffee has to be good. freshly roasted and ground right before you use it. If I'm at a friend or relatives and they are using grocery store coffee and I make it like I'm used to making it, the bad flavor is evident at that strength. good coffee made strong, is not bitter, has no bad tastes.

Super Moderator

strong coffee

Amen to that Lizzy. I still can't believe how good fresh roasted coffee tastes. I don't think I could drink store brand any more.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans
    relax and roast some beans

Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of ordering my own bean roaster and a new grinder. So, until then I cannot say that I know the difference in taste. But, I do know that it will be different and cannot wait until I can roast my own beans and enjoy coffee like it is meant to be enjoyed. I will have to experiment once I get the equipment. It just seemed that with store bought beans that the amounts were excessive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads