Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by caffe biscotto
    Heh, my computer at home is dead, I just use the one at work mostly.

Well, I used 32g Kenyan med. roast/med. grind with 16oz water. Stirred right away then let steep for three min, then plunged down then up (a bit slower than usual), waited another minute then poured two 8oz mugs.

Honestly, it's stronger than what my usual ratio provides and surprisingly it didn't make it any better to my taste. I almost wanted to add more water, it was too strong, I'm not used to that. Maybe I'm a miser with my costly coffees ($17/lb Kenyan from my local roaster), so I think I'll stick to less coffee to water.

Anyway, I'm using more coffee in my FP than I do in my one cup brewer to get the same flavor.

Funny thing, the more coffee I drink, the less beer and liquor I've been drinking. I've not touched either in months.... Not interested really.

Life is good enough with better coffee.
    From Mocha Joe? I would use 26 - 27 grams for 16 ounces french press. Weight the coffee and measure the water. But his type of Kenya is best with drip brewer.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

You're right Pug, Kenyan is great in my drip brewer! I got this Kenyan from my local roaster though, just to try it out. Not as good as Mocha Joe's, that's why I'd prefer not to mention their name right now. It still kicks butt and I'm almost out, getting worried now, eeeekk!!!!

I think I'll give CCC a ring soon to try their Espresso Toscano.
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by caffe biscotto

I think I'll give CCC a ring soon to try their Espresso Toscano.
    I had a bag of that last month & really liked it. As for Kenyan I've got some of Terroir's Grand Cru Kenya: Mamuto I'm drinking this week along with the Esmeralda. CCC had a french roasted Kenyan that I tried along with the Toscano. It wasn't sold as an Espresso but thats the way I used it & it was chocolate heaven!!

Getting back to the French press I think you'd get better results by not pressing up & down during the brew. Stir it down & position the filter so that it holds the grounds just below the water. When the brew time is up press the grounds slowly to the bottom & pour off the coffee immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPugDiablo
    From Mocha Joe? I would use 26 - 27 grams for 16 ounces french press. Weight the coffee and measure the water. But his type of Kenya is best with drip brewer.
    Ever try brewing with a Finum Filter right in the cup? I'm not a fan of drip so its either F/P, Espresso/Americano or the Finum. I love Kenyan coffees & really like the flavors I get with the Finum. I use 32g/16 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB
    Getting back to the French press I think you'd get better results by not pressing up & down during the brew. Stir it down & position the filter so that it holds the grounds just below the water. When the brew time is up press the grounds slowly to the bottom & pour off the coffee immediately.
    Thanks for clarifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB
    Ever try brewing with a Finum Filter right in the cup? I'm not a fan of drip so its either F/P, Espresso/Americano or the Finum. I love Kenyan coffees & really like the flavors I get with the Finum. I use 32g/16 oz.
    Not Finum, but have tried Melitta and Chemex. I really like Chemex, I think it's the paper filter. I am trying to adapt the paper filter to a commercial setting. Hopefully in a month or so. But I won't totally discard drip brewer. Technivorm is pretty amazing home brewer.

By the way I love Terroir's Kenyans. Simply the best.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

The Finum isn't a pour over, it sits right in the water. No paper filter, just a stainless basket that holds the grounds. Use a coarse grind & pour the water in slowly over the grounds & stir down the grounds/bloom once all the water is in. At 2 minutes I stir down again as the waterlogged grounds will now sink. At 4 minutes remove the filter & enjoy.

Brewing issues

Blue - don't be afraid to experiment! You have comments here from some of the most informed and talented coffee roasters and junkies on the net.

This is just my way...please vary yours. This should be an Olympic event!

French pressing check list:

1. FRESH ROASTED BEANS - not more than you can use in a week. Use about 14-16g per 8oz.water.

2. Good clean filtered water - IMHO, RO water is too flat in the cup - I just use my tap water here in the Louisville area - recently voted best tasting in the USA

3. NEED a good grinder - not a whirly-bird one - spend $50 or so and get a decent burr grinder - grind to a medium course setting to start - smell - adjust grind setting next time if needed - KEEP GRINDER CLEAN - grind and put in the press just before you pour the water.

4. Bring fresh water to a boil - take off the heat for about 30 seconds

5. Pre-heat and then dry out the press - Pour half the water in - make sure all grounds get wet - stir - START TIMER - coffee blume - SMELL - see the oils - SMELL again!

6. Fill press to top or around the handle - more coffee blume - preheat the screen in the left over boiling water then insert on press - give a short plunge - pull back up and wait - if you can!

7. At about 3-4min slowly press to the bottom - wait about one minute - pour slowly and SMELL - DRINK - ENJOY!

8. REPEAT!

Pour what is left into well pre-heated thermos if not drinking all of the coffee in 10 min. or so.

Okay - now I have to have one and I'm at work without a way to get one -

lachris
    lachris

Good French Press Coffee

Hey All,
    If you can get it, try Waialua Coffee for a more chocolaty taste. It grows on the Island of Oahu next to a high grade, rare type of cacao used to make a world class chocolate, Waialua Chocolate. This adds to the the taste of the coffee beans. The beans are also smaller than the usual Arabica beans. I use a heaping tablespoon of medium burr-grounded beans to roughly 200ml of water. One difference is that I like my coffee with milk. If you want to try something different, I boil the milk until it foams, then add it to the coffee. It tends to blend the milk into the coffee better. Enjoy!

What it take to make a great cup of coffee.

The most important is the water from the quality to the amount your machine spreads over the grounds. It all about the water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links