Is Fair-Trade Green?

GreenDude

Feb 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
This article points out an excellent example of how a lot of consumers have no frikkin idea what the hell is going on. Seriously, fair trade "good for the environment"???? I suppose it is if the growers/ campesinos can raise their standard of living. Sorry to go on a rant here, I personally am sick and tired of people calling me and asking for fair trade because their neighbor or whatever told them about it, and they do NO research about it, then they bitch because I charge them more!! As far as Trans Fair is concerned, after dealing with them and observing their 'practices' I refuse to buy anything 'fair trade' ever again (green coffee).....What a frikkin sham.... People need to hear about Growers first, or Direct trade coffees , they dont need to drive landrovers.

apologies in advance to whoever I offeneded

I fully and 100% understand and support G.D's rant (or is it rave) on this subject. Most of you know my own particular view on the subject of Fairtrade. If not you can read some of my other posts on this subject.

Sadly FairTrade as a system does not currently address the bulk of the socioeconomic problems in many, make that most, origin countries. Several NGOs are looking at models put together by smaller roasters for direct or relationship coffee systems that can be audited, are transparent and focus on buying, working, developing smallholder communities. i applaud this and am happy to say am involved currently with 2 seperate NGOs on developing a workable relationship coffee model.

FairTrade started off with the right ideas... it still is one of the only viable systems for buyers in countries removed by physical or language barriers from growers. The future will be direct trade...

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Then there is the issue of countries like Yemen and Ethiopia who can't afford a pot to piss in never mind fertilizer and insecticides. Organic but can't afford the $30 k to pay someone to certify them that they don't have a pot to piss in and can't afford chemicals.

lifeline

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
It would be interesting to see the consumers reaction to the transparent direct sales that NGO's are putting in place. I know many companies pay for a fair wage to get quality coffee.

Wmark has hit the nail on the proverbial head. Exactly. It just takes a few minutes to work out that the pattern of cerified FLO producers are BIG coops. Look, I have nothing against the current system except it misses the point of helping those who really need it. I think relationship coffee will need to be to be to some degree regulated by the NGO's to enable it to work correctly. Ultimatley I think a coffee drinker in Tanpa FL, Capetown South Africa or Auckland, New Zealand is sophisticated enough to ask "where is this coffee from" and expect the barista (or roaster) to be able to explain and provide documentation on the supply chain

akash

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
their standard of living. Sorry to go on a rant here, I personally am sick and tired of people calling me and asking for fair trade because their neighbor or whatever told them about it, and they do NO research about it, then they bitch because I charge them more!! As far as Trans Fair is concerned, after dealing with them and observing their 'practices'