Just learned about "aged" coffee beans

• Thread starter coffeeloverlisa
  • Start date
C

coffeeloverlisa

Am I the last to know? Is my ignorance showing?

Found out about this weird phenomenon on Twitter while talking with a couple of my of my coffee pals.

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-Aged- ... id=2774199

Apparently a rare and "not for everyone" taste, this is like the Blue Cheese of coffees? Just ordered 20 pounds and I am going to dream up a name and design for my Black Label rare coffee series.

Any info??

Cheers!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

I'm guessing that the aged coffee you're referring to is like the Monsooned Malabar coffee....I tried that one and to me it tastes like dirt (or moldy wood or something like that). We had a short discussion about it on this forum a while back (maybe before you found us?).

There is always so much to learn about the world of coffee.

Rose

C

coffeeloverlisa

Funny you should say that! My roaster/coffee adviser George said aged coffee was BS.

I immediately canceled the order but later I got a shipping confirmation from Sweet Maria's. If it gets shipped not the end of the world but thanks for confirming!

Lisa

ElPugDiablo

Aged coffee is not necessary BS. I had a batch of aged Sumatra that is aged in a warehouse that is exposed to gentle sea breeze. Where as a typical Monsooned Malabar is "aged" in about six months, the aged Sumatra I got took two years to age. With roasting tips from Alun I got a really nice grassy herbal cup. Unfortunately, good aged Sumatra, like any good coffee, is hard to come by.

C

coffeeloverlisa

Thanks for your educated reply, Pug. This is why this forum is very important to me. The balanced insider info is great.

Getting the real goods would be of course vital, and I do trust Tom and Maria at Sweet Maria's to deliver them. However, getting my roaster to do the job perfectly when he is skeptical might be an issue.

And, with me being only hearing about these beans yesterday, I might not be the one to sell them properly just yet, since I would not know if they were right. Only being in this business for coming up to 2 years, I'm still quite the noobie sometimes.

It has taken me a good part of a year to become a fussy and particular champion of Kopi Luwak. I stand behind the bean to a point where I challenged my supplier and he replaced 4 pounds.

This is the tough part of selling rare exotic stuff!

Cheers!

C

coffeeloverlisa

Oh and my order was canceled no problem. I am a good customer and they are an amazing company!

paulina12

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
PinkRose said:
Hi Lisa,

I'm guessing that the aged coffee you're referring to is like the Monsooned Malabar coffee....I tried that one and to me it tastes like dirt (or moldy wood or something like that). We had a short discussion about it on this forum a while back (maybe before you found us?).

There is always so much to learn about the world of coffee.

Rose

I've heard Moonsooned Malabar is the finest Indian coffee. It's funny how you speak of this coffee when everyone around me is praising it, but that's your choice, of course.
What I think about the aged coffee is that everyone has its own preference. We were told for years that the fresher is the coffee bean, the tastier is your coffee. Maybe it's not an axiom and we should give the aged coffee a chance? I would do that for sure but no one has ever offered me a cup of that coffee :(

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "paulina12"

It's true that some people enjoy the taste of "aged coffee."

However, I tried Monsooned Malabar last year, and I didn't like it one bit. There are other kinds of aged coffees available, and some may be better than others.

I would be interested to hear what you think when you actually get around to tasting an "aged coffee" such as Monsooned Malabar. As you can see by some of the postings on this forum, some people like it, and some people don't.

Rose

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

The description of that coffee is very interesting. I could see why you wanted to order it. It looks like one of those coffees that needs to be roasted perfectly, otherwise it could turn out to be a huge disappointment.

Rose

C

coffeeloverlisa

Well we may want to take a chance on it here, but George, my roaster, does a minimum 20 pounds and what the heck will I do with it if no one wants it?

PASSSSSS...