Puerto Rican Coffee/ Espresso?

chicago

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for opinions or any insight on Puerto Rican coffee or Espresso beans? We are opening a shop in a very diverse neighborhood with a large Puerto Rican presence. We would like to serve at least one coffee or espresso from Puerto Rico. I have emailed and attempted to get a hold of Yaucono and Alto Grande and another wholesaler Elcomadito, but to no response.

After talking to a local roaster, he mentioned that coffee from Puerto Rico isn't that "good" due to something with the crops and it is overpriced.

Can anyone recommend something they've tried or any insight on beans from Puerto Rico?

Thanks so much for any help!!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Just to clear the air chicago... you do know that any bean can be used for any brew method right? Now some bean origins are much better suited for espresso or press and so on, but I occasionally have customers asking things like "what's the difference between coffee beans and espresso beans?"

I find it amusing that people put espresso up on this pedestal as if great espresso is almost impossible to reach and once they get addicted it will take them to the next level of coffee insanity or one double shot is just out of their tolerance level but a single shot will do just fine. Or those that want half caff/half decaf as if 7 grams is going to make a huge difference.... Now I'm a huge fan of all things espresso, but after all it is simply coffee.

Trying to cater to those in your targeted area might work OK, but I do suggest experimenting with different blends as well as single origins and find out from your customers what they like and why. I have no clue what is grown in Puerto Rico but you never know. Later!

truebeans1

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I look at it this way, play to your audience because it is a business venture. If your clientelle wants Puertorican coffee and they are going to buy it then stock it along with other coffees you prefer and they will sell as well. I don't like coors light but my customers do so I carry it in my largest shop. I even roast a french roast although I would never drink it other than to cup it to make sure the profile is correct. It sells and clients love it. We are ultimately in the service industry to be of service to people that want to part with there money for our product. If the demand is there why alienate potential guests? It may not be up to your normal standards but if the quality does not damage your stores overall reputation have it on hand. Make your customers happy by at least having whole bean for purchase. Consider it as a part of your espresso blend. If it is not good at least you tried. It is showbusiness not showfriends and if you livelyhood depends on it make business decisions with compromising your ethics. Just my opinion.

neglid

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
Is there a word missing in the last sentence?

"It is showbusiness not showfriends and if you livelyhood depends on it make business decisions with compromising your ethics. Just my opinion."

truebeans1 said:
I look at it this way, play to your audience because it is a business venture. If your clientelle wants Puertorican coffee and they are going to buy it then stock it along with other coffees you prefer and they will sell as well. I don't like coors light but my customers do so I carry it in my largest shop. I even roast a french roast although I would never drink it other than to cup it to make sure the profile is correct. It sells and clients love it. We are ultimately in the service industry to be of service to people that want to part with there money for our product. If the demand is there why alienate potential guests? It may not be up to your normal standards but if the quality does not damage your stores overall reputation have it on hand. Make your customers happy by at least having whole bean for purchase. Consider it as a part of your espresso blend. If it is not good at least you tried. It is showbusiness not showfriends and if you livelyhood depends on it make business decisions with compromising your ethics. Just my opinion.