LIBERICA COFFEE: Coffee Supply and Whole Sale

Just Want Cafe

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Coffea Liberica is a species of coffee that originated in Liberia, West Africa. It is also known as Liberica Coffee or Liberian Coffee which was first found in 1843 in Liberia. Today, most of the liberica coffee trees are grown in Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines, while some other in West Africa, and India. However, only nearly 1% of Liberica Coffee are traded in coffee trading around the world.
This beautiful long-living plant is strong, lush, with fruits and seeds proportion double to those of Arabica and more immune to parasites attacks. This fruit bearing tree requires high humidity and temperature and plentiful water. The coffee tree grows up to 5 - 20 metres ( 16' - 64') in height, producing larger cherries than Arabica and Robusta species. Coffea Liberica leaves are dark, glossy green, 20-30 cm (8" - 12") long. The plant will only flower when days are 13 hours or shorter.

The coffee was brought to South East Asia to replace the Arabica trees killed by the coffee rust disease at the end of the 19th century. Coffea Liberica has a low tolerance toward cold, it is more common to find this kind of species in low altitude area.

Coffea Liberica can be harvested all year long. It's berries' size are approximately 1.5 size larger than Arabica and become the largest size among all coffee species. They turn dull red or light yellow at maturity. Berries skin are harder and thicker compare to Arabica. Thus, it takes more time to process the coffee beans, and this might be the reason why they have strong smell of aroma and flavor.

Malaysia is an ideal location to grow Coffea Liberica due to it's natural tropical season weather. The average temperature in Malaysia are around 27 degree celcius (80 degree Fehrenheit) with 2500mm average rainfall each year in Peninsular Malaysia (West Malaysia). The full day sun light and plenty of water give the best living condition for Coffea Liberica to grow and produce the full aroma of rare coffee beans.
Coffea Liberica was brought into Malaysia by Mr. Leonard Wray in the year of 1875. Today, about 95% of Malaysia's coffee beans come from liberica plants. The average production of this kind of coffee in Malaysia is only about 160,000 bags or 10,000 tons a year. In another word, it is only 0.01% of the world's coffee trading.

While this coffee is so rare and hardly find in today's coffee commodity, Just Want Cafe would like to bring you the mystery of its taste.

Just Want Cafe

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
well, let me post some of the actual picture I took in our Malaysia coffee farm.

20555_312743699224_213132604224_4597356_2767901_n.jpg

20555_312743694224_213132604224_4597355_6756503_n.jpg

20555_312866824224_213132604224_4597912_7995080_n.jpg

20555_312743559224_213132604224_4597341_1174035_n.jpg

Usually for Arabica, there are only 5 petal per flower, but for Liberica, it sometimes goes up to 8 petal per flower.

Just Want Cafe

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
coffeeloverlisa said:
I have ordered a pound and shall report!
Lisa, once again, thanks for your order.

Just information from my experience. I will suggest to mix this Liberica to regular Arabica and drink it. It is because the pure Malaysian Liberica is strong and many people just can't take it. But, you might be different. ;)

If after you tried it and you feel this is too strong, I will suggest you to taste it together with Colombian Supremo, it can balance the taste. Mix 30% of Liberica with 70% of Arabica is recommended. Then you can mix less of arabica once you get used to it.

I usually drink 100% of Malaysian Liberica, guess I am already addicted to it! 8)

C

coffeeloverlisa

I have the coffee but have not got around to grinding and brewing. Will do it first thing in the a.m.
Promise!

C

coffeeloverlisa

Gooood Sunday morning coffee champs!

First the beans. Very oily and fresh, and have a great aroma on their own. Ground them for my Technivorm Moccamaster, since that is what I use every day. You experts may do a formal cupping.

Drinking the Liberica and it is lovely. Very unique; pungent and strong. Cups with the taste of nuts, cedar and hickory, and an after taste of unsweetened, dark chocolate.

Delish.

Reading the description of the beans on the Liberica site showed these were not grown in Liberia, but rather in Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines.Therefore If I do sell this at Rocketfuelcoffee.com, I might name this coffee clever, something that does not confuse consumers or make a claim that will land me in hot coffee. The double place name is kind of ambiguous.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the professional review of the Liberica coffee!

We're sooo lucky to have you as an active member of this forum. There aren't too many people who have been curious enough (or brave enough) to buy the coffee and give it a try.

I'm glad it was delicious. It sounds yummy.

Rose

C

coffeeloverlisa

That's funny, me with the cat poo Kopi Luwak on my store menu.

Brave is not the word.

:)