searching for nutty coffee

smokehouse

Apr 26, 2008
Visit site
I am looking for some green coffee beans that have a nice nutty characteristic?
I roasted some beans from a sampler pack I got a couple years ago that had the most amazing nuttyness to it. For the life of me I can not remember what coffee it was or what orgin it came from.

Are there certain orgins that produce nuttyness flavor?

Thanks

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
Yeah...I know the flavor you are seeking! I just got back to roasting my own green beans for personal consumption and have been looking for something similar to coffee I've had in the past. I buy mostly in small batches (5 pounds at a time and usually different beans) and it is difficult to always find a coffee I've liked in the past due to limited availability (based on the site I buy my coffee).

As far as "nuttiness", I've had several Brazillian coffees with that type of flavor (not all) as well as a few Panama and Costa Rican coffees. Brazil is not my favorite so I try and stick with the central american coffees for daily drinking. Unfortunately, most of the available coffees from the place I buy from are more on the "floral" side from Pananma and Costa Rica right now. Still awesome but they do not have that "nuttiness" flavor to them.

Not sure if I can post links here to web sites but the place I use is failry well known in the personal green bean world and they have very accurate descriptions for each one offered.

C

coffeeloverlisa

When it comes to nuttiness in coffee, I wonder if you might give Mysore Nuggets from India a try? It is really delicious. I do not carry it now but I did last year and I am pretty sure you can find it with a web search from another company. Southern India has some of the finest coffees in the world, did you know that?

Mysore is the region and they call it Nuggets because the beans are larger and they consider them gold? But WHOOOEEE it is fun to sell this bean at a coffee show as you can imagine.

Cheers!

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I just tried some Coffee from a friend, who strangely enough is coming over in the Morning.
It was so smooth, had what I consider a Great nutty flavor, that seemed to linger
in my mouth for quite a while, and No bitter Flavor.

Will know more about it in the AM, But is is a 100% Organic.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Most offerings I've tried from Brazil are quite nutty. It's one of the reasons I have decided to stick with a Single Origin Brazil for espresso. Has nice unsweetened/dark chocolate notes along with quite a bit of nuttiness.

I also serve a "breakfast blend" consisting of offerings from Brazil, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Colombia. This is light, mellow and very nutty. Just not sure if one origin is offering this "nutty" taste over another or simply a combination of all 4.

Personally I'm not buying into the organic thing in coffee. Not saying it's a bad thing for those that believe in it and want to spend extra money for it. Just highly doubt you'd be able to tell any real difference when blind-cupping certified organic compared to non-organic from a reputable farm. Later!

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Avatars Nutty combo sounds nice for the Holidays, next to a warm fire,
thanks for sharing that with us, must be Great.

I like to try all kins of Coffee, and blends, and sometimes just one real good bean only.
Although we are New to the Coffee Biz, and I can stand to learn a lot from all of you,
For years now I have always been seen with a Coffee in tow.
IT was for a long while, the regular low end cheep of the cheep, but I did not know any better
until the Coffee explosion hit the USA.

Yikes now i am getting an Education.

The Great Nutty Coffee with an unreal lingering after taste turned out to be a Dark
Mexican Coffee, with no blend, which also has a Medium, and a Native verity, and a decaf Blend,
I was so Impressed, I have to try the others again, but the Dark may be The Best I have had.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
On the Organic Topic,
I dont know, this New Oganic Mexican seems to make me feel better Health wise,
not sure if is the nutrients in the soil that are being absorbed ?

I was told that one test of Organic crop is to see if life ( worms ect ) are in the ecosystems
soil, and that if nothing is alive, the chemicals used might be sapping nutrients and killing
the worms and natures lifeline.

But I seem to be going to the stool better, and feel better in general,
or I am going insane, and that could be, ha ha,

But have any of you felt any good vibes in that direction from anything out there
with any Brew ?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The "organic test" can probably be done with pretty much any crop. If there are no signs of life around something growing in soil chances are something was probably used to eradicate it.

I highly doubt any nutrients can be useful once absorbed into a coffee bean. Average roast temperature can be 450 degrees F or more and that would surely destroy anything useful the bean has to offer. Topher is a roaster so I'm sure he might have more insight regarding this subject than I do. Later!

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Any of our Roaster Friends have any insight on this ?

The last post seemed to make sense, but I am still feeling something.

Hopefully its a bit of both, since I am in Heaven getting to sample all
of these New Coffees.

Turn your Fans on to Our Direction if you are getting Snow, California
Needs some.

Thanks Rick H.