Green Coffee Beans Question

Ericeman

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I asked a question here a few months back, never got around to purchasing green coffee beans, totally forgot I'd stopped by and never had the chance to see the 3 pages of answers you guys bothered to give me. Thought I should start by saying thanks for that.

Now question time: if I purchase green coffee from a seemingly generic source (a greek grocery store) will it still be consistently better than pre-roasted bags (from reliable sources like Gorilla Coffee or Stumptown)? International Grocery seems well regarded but they're certainly not dedicated to coffee the way some mail order companies or the much pricier Roasting Plant in downtown NYC might be-- their choices seem to be simply Colombian or Ethiopian.

I'll more than likely end up in the deep end at some point but for now will the generic source produce reliable results?

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been spoiled by Sweet Maria's greens. I get an accurate description of the bean, it's region and growers, it's flavor profile, and roasting level recommendations. Tom also takes the time to travel to these farmers and cups the lots they produce, in search of excellence, which he turns around and markets to us homeroasters. This is an exceptional way to learn about coffee regions and varietals, and even if you do not homeroast, let Tom roast it for you. I also frequent greencoffeebuyingsclub.com ...a group of guys who cup and buy bags of greens from wholesalers, and divi up the bags to fellow homeroasters with minimal markup. I'm very rarely disappointed in ANY purchase from these two options. I would have lower expectations about the sources of generic beans from other retailers like you describe, and doubt their consistency could be any better than the pros like Stumptown. Those guys have the equipment and knowledge to be MUCH more consistent than most homeroasters. :)

Ericeman

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I fully intend on utilizing those mail-order services sometime in the future but let's forget those for a moment:

I'd expect these specialty coffee shops to offer a wider variety but wouldn't home roasts guarantee a much fresher cup on a consistent basis, you know, regardless of the source of the bean?

I guess the question is: can an unspoiled fresh bean ever produce worse coffee than less-than-fresh bagged alternatives?

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It should also be noted that coffee is a seasonal crop. Every year is different..so 'consistency' in bean quality will vary as will quality of any given year's lot, based on storage and handling, humidity and 'age' by such exposure. When I buy a 20# bag of favorite greens, I wouldn't expect to get the same exact results from the first pound roasted, to my last..based on how I store my greens. Sure I could store better, but as long as I enjoy the beans, some inconsistency is not just tolerated, but maybe even desired. :)

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I fully intend on utilizing those mail-order services sometime in the future but let's forget those for a moment:

I'd expect these specialty coffee shops to offer a wider variety but wouldn't home roasts guarantee a much fresher cup on a consistent basis, you know, regardless of the source of the bean?

I guess the question is: can an unspoiled fresh bean ever produce worse coffee than less-than-fresh bagged alternatives?

This answer is based on the definition of 'fresh'. I can mail order freshly roasted beans from any roaster (here or online merchants) that still need 'rest' for days, in my home, before i can even use them to their 'peak'. The only way you can answer your question is to try the 'unspoiled fresh bean' at home, roast it up, and cup it for yourself. There is a reason lower grade coffee finds it's way to these non-coffee vendors, and 'fresh' may have little to do with it. :)

mudpuppy

Sep 11, 2008
S. Georgia
Visit site
Just as the coffee consumer looks for the qualities they value in roasted coffee (freshness, taste, body, etc.), so do roasters look for valuable qualities in the green coffee they buy. They look for freshness (this year's crop or prior year?), quality, and a flavor profile that will work in a blend or as a single origin. I'll chime in on agreement on Sweet Maria's, but you will find that many roasters will sell their green beans to home roast customers, if you know what you want.

To answer your question, "NO! if the green coffee is yucky, then the roasted coffee will be bad as well". It makes me cry, however, to see really nice coffee go stale or be brewed badly.

Ellen

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
There are many good coffee suppliers out there. Try coffeebeandirect.com (I used to use them quite frequently before I started buying whole bag); genxcoffee.com has great coffee I understand; huladaddy.com for Kona. For whole bag try thetaridgecoffee.com (they are the whole bag company I use and they are excellent).

Len