coffee beans per table spoon?

coffeesuds

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
i have a grinder that i have bought 3 years ago and got back into grinding again after a lay off and i can't remember the measurments as to how many beans to grind for 1 tsp?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually that can be inconsistent due to variations in bean origin, processing/roasting methods, etc. Unless you stick with the same coffee all the time that is. For all brew methods I'm a big believer in using scales for measurement, rather than volume.

coffeesuds

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
shadow745, if i went to use a scale, what would be the measurments? are cooking scales that measure in ounces,the same as you are talking about?

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think a gram scale would be more appropriate. As Shadow eluded, my current batch of monsooned malabar is very bulky (swollen by the monsoon season)..compare that to a small-bean ethiopian (which frequently gets through the grid of my roasting basket), and you can see the difficulty in giving even a general answer. :)

bamabeaner

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
how many grams of coffee would you suggest per 500ml of water? whole or ground? I am using an autodrip brewing method. I have been struggling with consistancy of flavor through brewing. I would appreciate some advice.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For 74 oz. (2188ml) of water I use around 3.8 oz. (107 grams) of grounds. You can convert to the amount you typically use. I get great results with this ratio. Your coffee freshness, grind quality/consistency, water temperature makes the difference. It's not just the ratio of coffee to water that's involved in great coffee.

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
For 74 oz. (2188ml) of water I use around 3.8 oz. (107 grams) of grounds. You can convert to the amount you typically use. I get great results with this ratio. Your coffee freshness, grind quality/consistency, water temperature makes the difference. It's not just the ratio of coffee to water that's involved in great coffee.

Even roast degree can have an effect, so experiment! :)