coffee bean storage

bullard

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I put mine in pint and quart canning jars, and store them in the pantry. I'm sure everyone does it different though. I was told freezer or refrigerator was not good because of the moisture.:coffee:

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on when you expect to use them. Short term (less than a week) an airtight screw-top Ball/Mason jar is fine. Fresh roasted coffee will still outgas for a few days post-roast, so I tend to crack the lid to release CO2 pressure once a day if not actually using the beans. Longer than a week (buying in bulk) still use the Ball/Mason jar, but fill them up full and screw down lid. I keep them room temp this way for a day (accumulate gas) and then put them in the freezer, releasing the CO2 as I do. This full-jar reduces O2 and moisture available when they freeze, and they keep for many weeks in that state. Indeed, it's like arresting the rest period of a fresh roast, and I have to retrieve a frozen jar of beans 2-3 days before I need them, to allow them to thaw and resume their rest/outgassing. I've never kept a batch in the freezer longer than approx. 3 weeks, but I'd assume I could go longer based on the quality I see in this approach. :)

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Only a deep freeze will actually slow or stop staling. Simply removing oxygen by vac sealing will halt oxidation, but it does nothing to stop the chemical changes going on in the beans. As soon as they are opened to the air they happily take in oxygen. Try it with a can of vac packed or nitrogen packed Illy. Smells great when first opened, and tastes acceptable as well. By day two, or at the most day three, they taste months old, because they are.

for me: Sealed canning jar, dark, cool cabinet. Have only enough for about ten days or a bit less.

Of course, if the method that works for you offers good tasting coffee, then go for it.

hollywood

Mar 24, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
Refrigerator or air tight (preferably vacuum sealed) containers or bags. Freezer (in my opinion) is probably the worst of the 3 because of the extreme temperatures. Yeah, it has the potential to let the coffee keep longer. But it can damage the structure of the bean and the caffeine. Refrigerator reduces the break-down of what makes coffee so awesome (caffeine and flavor), but probably isn't the best choice. Room temperature, in a dark area like a pantry, in an air-tight or vacuum sealed container is probably your best bet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of what works best, so try out all three, and see which one you like best. :) Some people don't taste the difference when it has been in the freezer, the refrigerator, or the pantry. But some people do. It just depends on the individual themselves. :)

Kevin O'Gara

Mar 30, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
In a Fido air-tight glass jar in the dark at room temperature. As has been stated here, not much slows down coffee getting stale without hurting some other feature. Buy it fresh and buy it often.

andyberard

Mar 31, 2011
Colorado
Visit site
Never , ever freeze or refrigerate your coffee beans. Have you ever heard of freezer burn. In the fridge you expose your beans to odor cross contamination. Listen I am a coffee roaster , best storing method is, dark sealed container and keep in a cool dry storage area. away from direct light. Any light is the enemy. Shelf life is at least two weeks. If you must freeze your beans because you buy in bulk then make sure you triple wrap your container.