Which one of these countries is the top coffe exporter?

USRobinson

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Doing a little marketing research as the moment and I nailed down some of the leading coffee bean exporters (feel free to correct if I am wrong)

Brazil
Colombia
Vietnam
Germany
Guatamala
Peru
Indonesia
Honduras
Costa Rica

does anyone know which of these countries you could consider the top 3 in the world and why exactly? I mean is it simply because of the amount they export or the quality of coffee beans they export?

thanks,

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Vietnam is above Colombia...and you take Germany out of the mix.. Germany doesn't produce coffees. I will get some info today and get back to this thread ;-)

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Right about Germany being the biggest exporter, but Brazil definitely produces the most (about a 1/3 of the world's!).

As an aside, we can thank Vietnam for flooding the coffee market in the mid/late 90s with over a million acres of robusta, dramatically turning a market based largely on supply and demand into market based the bottom line. Thus the price wars began; prices dropped; labor injustices grew; coffee production grew; crappy (robusta) coffee continued as the norm, becoming more accessible to a broader audience. Our job: change the norm! It's not normal for coffee to be cheap nor is it normal for coffee to taste like...well...like most coffee does.

Anyway, food for thought.

KCR

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I think that if you contact the SCAA they will have the figures you need. And trhere is a differenc ebetween asking which countries are the top exporters, which are the top producers, and which produce the best coffee. To get the answer you want yo have to ask the right question.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
And if I remember correctly, Illy was (or maybe still is) the number 1 importer of Brazilian coffee. Early on in my home roasting (like eight years ago or so) I read that information and switched from a Colombian base to a Brazil base. Never regretted that.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
what do you mean you switched from Brazil to Colombian for "base" Base of what? I love both coffees Colombian and Brazil. I use both in Blends and as single origin.

luwakcoffee

Jul 13, 2011
Indonesia
Visit site
Brazil is the greatest exporter and Indonesia is the best coffee exporter, see that kopi luwak, the civet poop coffee is the best and the most expensive coffee in the world