Got my Jura 5 today and need help with espresso beans

LGHT

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Well my Jura arrived and I got it all setup and had a few cappuccino's I'm amazed at how fast and good the end result is. I started off using the Lavazza "top class" and tried the Intelligentsia "Black Cat". I actually prefer the Black Cat although the Top Class was a bit more per lb.

A co-worker gave me a small of of must try beans that he has enjoyed over the years. I prefer making double shot cappuccino's and enjoy a thick creamy drink.

1. Lavazza Super Crema;
2. Intelligentsia Black Cat;
3. Vivace Dolce;
4. Vivace Vita;
5. Metropolis Redline
6. Counter Culture Toscano
7. Counter Culture La Forza
8. Stumptown Hairbender
9. Kean Espresso

I don't mind spending a bit more for a quality product, but I've been drinking star bucks for years and to be honest I don't know if my taste buds are honed in enough to really appreciate the fine subtile differences in a high quality espresso beans just yet. The guy I normally buy my coffee from "KILLERBEANS" has an espresso roast, but it's $18 a lb!!

I was hoping to do some taste test, but what's a good way to "taste test" beans?

I was thinking about putting beans in my new machine and making a single shot of 2-3 brands and tasting them side by side, but I realized that hopper isn't designed to allow you to take your beans out. I'm also not sure if the grinder holds beans inside the machine which would end up giving me a cross of either 2 products or not.

If you have any favorites that fit my drink and flavor profile or comments on the above beans let me know. Still doing a lot of reading and research.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Based on what I've been reading I'd recommend 5 lbs. of Redbird Espresso, which is around $48 including shipping. FWIW there is no such thing as "espresso beans", just that some coffees are more suitable for the temperature/pressure of espresso than others.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Don't allow yourself to get in a rut looking for only espresso blends. Try some single origins as well. You can even make your own blends. Try something simple like 75% Brazil and 25% Ethiopian or Sumatran. For espresso, I would generally recommend staying away from any very light roasted coffee, and for all methods of brewing avoid very dark or oily coffee (particularly true for super auto where cleaning the grind path can be a chore). Beyond that, your taste is the only factor to consider.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Agree with Randy on this one as my current favorite at home/commercially is a Single Origin Brazil. It's roasted at two different temperature levels to achieve a sort of blend. I developed a signature blend in conjunction with our roaster consisting of 70% Brazil, 20% Ethiopia Sidamo and 10% Sumatra. Worked great for me, but the darker Sumatra was going rancid much faster than the other two components and was fouling the taste.