i need help with naming the beans

woodside

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
when you buy coffee beans what do you call...
bold blend beans
mild blend beans
espresso blend beans

and is there such thing as a decaff espresso beans?

Jezza

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
when you buy coffee beans what do you call...
bold blend beans
mild blend beans
espresso blend beans

and is there such thing as a decaff espresso beans?

Hi there. Not sure about bold but mild is probably when the bean has been roasted and removed from heat after first crack. Espresso blend being after second crack. When roasting, the beans first looses the skin ( chaff) due to the bean expanding. After a couple of minutes you hear the beans sort of popping. Thats first crack. Second crack is not much later with allot of smoke due to the beans oils and sugars burning. So if you like a fuller flavour, I'd say mild roast i guess. As i understand, espresso is a blend with less sugars and oils which produce the full flavour.
Maybe you should roast your own beans. It a good way to find your perfect blend, and its fresher than buying from a store. Enjoy

Here is some info i found on decaf and did a copy and paste...
Decaffeinating coffee is achieved through a variety of decaffeination processes, all of which are relatively harmless to your health, but harmful to coffee quality. Almost every process for decaffeination consists of soaking the beans in water to dissolve the caffeine, extracting the caffeine with either a solvent or activated carbon, and then re-soaking the coffee beans in the decaffeinated water to reabsorb the flavor compounds that were lost in the initial extraction.

espresso_etc

Jul 6, 2011
kansas
Visit site
Does the decafinaion process explain why I cannot get a decent brew cycle? The puck looks fine, but brews too quickly. I have tried changing the grind settings with no luck.

CoffeeJive

Jul 6, 2011
The Coffee Bar
Visit site
Yeah, I feel like decaf coffee never quite has the same flavor intensity as 'regular' brews. Though I do detest the manhandling of the beans, but can understand the impact and importance of doing so, I mean, drinking a hot cup of energy before bed never treats me right.

In it's own way, it becomes a flavor in its own right. Though trying to compare it to mild roasts seems a tad off.