which blend

wazza7b7

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi every one my first post
what do you of this blend Central and South American Arabicas (40%)+Asian Robustas (60%).

wazza

hiepsony

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Now I blend 30 Robusta + 70 Arabica
I get the good flavour, taste for both hot, ice and ice blend coffee.
Hope can get more advice..

HIEP

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
30 robusta/70 arabica . . . that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 30 robusta what? Is is Vietnam robusta? Or Indonesian? Or Chinese? Or Indian? Or . . .

And ditto with the arabica. What is it? Where's it from? Coffee can vary in taste quite a bit from one end of the field to another and certainly from one country or continent to another.

I would like to know what you are mixing since you feel it tastes good and is so versatile. I'd like to try it myself.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Qe just roasted a small batch of organic robusta from mexico and it was pretty nice. Clean uniform beans, spice on the nose. Great crema. Not too bitter. It will make for a great blending component but I'm guessing at more like the 15-20%range.

expat: Much of the espresso made in Europe, especially italian blends have a significant amount of robusta in them for the crema produced.

I'd be surprised if the folks in Ireland weren't more accustomed to that type of blend than the 100% arabica found in the states.

lw

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
My favorite espresso "single origin blend" was created by our (former) roaster using a single origin Brazil Ipanema. He would roast half of it lighter and half of it darker... then blend. Gave the best of both (sweet and nutty) worlds and I've yet to find any offering from any roaster that I like better and I've sampled quite a few over the last 2-3 years. Once I start home roasting I will probably try to duplicate it.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I prefer the uncomplicated flavor profile single origins offer. Sometimes a blend can have so much going on the flavor simply gets lost or overpowered.

I'm currently trying to finish up what's left (3 lbs.) of a "highly" recommended blend and it's tough doing so because the overpowering component of it is hazelnut. There's a bit of the usual notes most espressos have, but the hazelnut is just killing it for me. Of course I've tweaked the dose, grind, temperature, etc. but it's going nowhere. Will not order that particular coffee again.

People really should give single origins a try more often as general population seems to think most if not all coffee offerings are blends. Awhile back we were doing a large event and a guy comes up and orders an Americano and starts saying "I like it straight, no sugar or crap in it for me.... I normally drink straight espresso anyway"... then starts telling me how he used to be the coffee vendor there and he would roast onsite, yadda, yadda, yadda... Then asks what I'm using for espresso. Told him a single origin Brazil. Dude then tells me it "can't be espresso" if it's not a blend of 3 or more coffees. Of course I like a challenge and within 5 minutes of disputing everything he had to say I had him walking away. He then went to my wife to see if she would listen because he knew I wouldn't be intimidated by his B.S. I gave him one of our cards and told him to send me 1/2 lb. of his best espresso blend. Never heard from him again...

It's people like him that I will NEVER miss with our business!

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Shadow, or anyone with insight on this,

I'm very interested in your friend's Brazil/Brazil espresso. You said he'd roast 1/2 light and 1/2 dark. Can you be any more specific as to what's light and dark? As a small roaster I don't have many types of beans but I do have Brazil. If the Brazil/Brazil mix is as good as you say then I'd like to give that a try.

I've also got some nice robusta from India so if anyone has thoughts on mixing that with my other beans for a nice espresso roast.

Has Bean (which has a website that is hasbean dot co dot uk -- and is a great site for coffee. They even have a 10 day email course, for free, on all things coffee) has a 'Breakfast Bomb' which used to be blended 80% sumatra and 20% robusta. After serving that for 8 years I think the owner was just ready for a change so has a new recipe, which he posts if you're interested, but when I order beans again I'm thinking of giving the 80/20 original Breakfast Bomb roast a try.

Well, I've got off subject a bit so let me know on the brazil/brazil or another SO or blended coffee recipes you'd recommend. I need a new one to add to my line-up!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know the actual roast temperature/time variance, but based on what I've sampled, conversations I've had with our roaster and what I've read I'd have to say the lighter component was roasted to FULL CITY and the darker component to FULL CITY+. Not drastic by any means, but noticeable in appearance, aroma and taste. The combination was outstanding for straight espresso as well as when used in milk based drinks.

End result was very smooth/bold unsweetened chocolate (think baker's chocolate) with an almond finish. It set our espresso/drinks apart from the crowd and it was also the best coffee I've tried yet for espresso. I've sampled alot of offerings and found a few that were almost as good, but not quite the equal.