6 Ways to Keep your Coffee Beans Looking and Tasting Fresh

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
For those of us who enjoy our coffee but are not necessarily coffee connoisseurs, here are a few ways to keep your beans fresh and full of flavour;

Use a sealed bag to keep your coffee beans fresher for longer or an air-tight container.
If you prefer to grind your own coffee, try only to grind the amount that you need. Ground coffee will quickly go stale if it’s left out exposed, so rather store the beans in their full form and grind them as you need to.
Do not store your beans near water as they will pick up the condensation in the air quickly which will take away from their flavour.
Do not keep your beans in the sun or in warm areas, cool and dry storage is best.
It is a common misconception that coffee beans should be stored in the fridge or freezer. This is not a good idea as it will strip the beans of their natural flavour and aroma.
Another option all together would be to buy smaller bags or amounts of coffee to ensure you always keep a fresh supply.

ceegee

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tracy, thanks for those great tips. I am embarrassed to admit that for a long time I did store my coffee beans in the fridge/freezer. I have recently learnt the error of my ways, and now enjoy a better quality of coffee. Thanks for the reminder.

CoffeeJive

Jul 6, 2011
The Coffee Bar
Visit site
While I do agree with these tips, I think it's also an interesting experience to try some of the beans that may have been "harmed" by the 'mistakes'. I think it could alter a bean into a whole new direction, maybe even creating an experience you enjoy! That's all I really want to add to the coffee culture is the idea that everyones experience is their own, and having some 'wrong' ones, may only increase your appreciation of the 'right' ones!

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
Hi Tracy, thanks for those great tips. I am embarrassed to admit that for a long time I did store my coffee beans in the fridge/freezer. I have recently learnt the error of my ways, and now enjoy a better quality of coffee. Thanks for the reminder.
u are welcome and i will give more tips

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
While I do agree with these tips, I think it's also an interesting experience to try some of the beans that may have been "harmed" by the 'mistakes'. I think it could alter a bean into a whole new direction, maybe even creating an experience you enjoy! That's all I really want to add to the coffee culture is the idea that everyones experience is their own, and having some 'wrong' ones, may only increase your appreciation of the 'right' ones!
i do think it is an interesting experience to try some of the beans and thanks for your reply

CoffeeJive

Jul 6, 2011
The Coffee Bar
Visit site
For instance, I recently found a ground bag of espresso that's been sitting wrapped in a brown paper bag in a cupboard for maybe over 6 months! While most people would throw it out, I think I have a unique experience ahead of me! I get to taste 6 month old ground espresso. Sure, I don't think I have a business model here, but it can give me a great bench mark for another way a bean can be for future comparisons sake.

Emily

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
For instance, I recently found a ground bag of espresso that's been sitting wrapped in a brown paper bag in a cupboard for maybe over 6 months! While most people would throw it out, I think I have a unique experience ahead of me! I get to taste 6 month old ground espresso. Sure, I don't think I have a business model here, but it can give me a great bench mark for another way a bean can be for future comparisons sake.

LOL well, be sure to give us a report.

I once had a root canal without anaesthetic, and that, too, was a unique experience that wouldn't have been the same with novocaine or whatever they use nowadays. Just the same, I think I could have gone through life without it and not suffered -- not nearly as much as I suffered in having it, anyway.

shutch

Dec 22, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
I use a tiny measuring cup that holds just the right amount of beans to grind for a double espresso. With this, I place a scoop of beans into the grinder and let it grind out all the beans and empty the grinder of coffee grinds. No chance of left over grind in the grinder, so I'm free to try a different type of bean for the next coffee.

Sylvan

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Tracey
For a new member as i am, looking to improve their knowledge and find out more about coffee in all it's spender, that's some very good tips and info Thanks
Bill

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Dark Roasted Coffee is like carbon. It will absolve anything in the air. That is the one of the reason why you should keep the coffee air tight container. Also storing coffee in the refrigerator with very strong food like fish, cheese, and other things that would spoil the taste of coffee is recommended.

I need to go get my another cup of coffee.... Have fun... ;)

TheBigDripper

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I buy only what I consume in a week, about a half-pound whole bean, and keep them in a cheap glass container (the kind with the spring clip closure thingie and rubber gasket) up in a cabinet.

maxpower

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I store my beans in a mason/ball jar and vacuum the air out after I make my coffee. Then the jar is stored in a cabinet. I buy my beans from a store that gets them from a local roaster. the beans are already 1-4 weeks old at that point and it takes me about 2 weeks to go through a jar.