California Fave Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Opening Attracts 'Spider-Man' Read more: http

tracy6413

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Visit site
California Fave Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Opening Attracts 'Spider-Man' Read more: http

Reeve Carney, who plays Spider-Man alter-ego Peter Parker in Broadway’s "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark," was among the devotees who packed the coffee shop at its opening on Broadway at 39th Street for a caffeine fix.

“I love Coffee Bean,” said Carney, dressed in black suspenders and a white button-down shirt, as he posed with fans after ordering a “pure chocolate” frozen drink on his day off.

Carney, who went to high school in Los Angeles, said he’s thrilled to see “The Bean” arrive in New York.

“I think I know the menu better than the people who work here,” he joked.

Despite the new shop’s proximity to a host of coffee shops, including Oren’s Daily Roast and numerous Starbucks outlets, fans had no doubt The Bean would keep buzzing.

“It’s amazing,” said Upper West Sider Alison H., 29, who is originally from Los Angeles and couldn’t wait to get her hands on a café latté or ice-blended.
In addition seating and a coffee-centered theme, the new shop includes a “mural wall” that will feature artwork from rotating artists with a connection to the neighborhood. The exhibit kicked off with a series of fashion shots from photographer Patrick McMullan in honor of the Fashion District nearby.
Owners are also considering opening the space to local artists for exhibitions, they said.
But fans said what they're most interested in is the coffee, which they rated as consistently better than other chains.
Actress/producer Deanne Raphael, said she used to stop by The Bean every day during the 10 years she lived in L.A., and is such a fan she even made a short film in honor of the brand.
She said she was taken aback when she discovered the new storefront a week and a half ago passing by.
“I saw the sign and I was like, ‘Is this really happening?'” she said as she embraced her half-vanilla, half-mocha latté.
“I’ve been off my crack for a while. I have to recommit to my addiction.”