Keeping Beans Fresh

birdy

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
I need help! I haven't had a decent cup of coffee since I moved to the Twin Cities last year, from Austin, TX! I am not sure if it is the beans here - or the roasters (we've only had locally roasted beans) or if it is the climate - my apartment here does not have central air, whereas the one I lived in back in Texas, did.

My question is, how do you guys keep your beans fresh? Do you have any suggestions, since "room temperature" in my apartment can vary wildly!

Please help!!!! :neutral:

Birdy

Quality_Coffee

Oct 17, 2011
Roanoke, Va
Visit site
I'm not sure room temperature makes a difference in how fresh your coffee is. The simple solution is keeping your beans or grounds (which ever you use) in an air tight container. Allowing air to reach your stored coffee will create staleness in a matter of days.

Startup

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello, Air tight/vacuum storeage would certainly help. Assuming your local roaster is selling beans recently roasted....and the beans they roasted weren't ancient....maybe it's simply the water? Have you changed your brewing method? Or how did you solve your problem as this thread is a few months old?

GiveGrowGo

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
We have a coffee shop in a very dry area in western China. We have to take the coffee miles and miles to get there... what works for us is... Clean, fresh tasting water, Air tight vacuum sealed bags, Stored in the freezer. AND Grind with in 5 mins of opeing bag, and brew with in 20mins of being ground... So small bags if its for Just you :)

I'm guessing its your water? do other coffee shops have "decent" cups of coffee? maybe its time from some recon?

HalfCaffeinated

Feb 22, 2012
USA
Visit site
Air = Bad. Water = Bad. Counter those two things, and you should be good. Also, despite the persistent myth, putting your coffee in the fridge is NOT a good idea to keep it fresh! Quite the contrary! Moisture can be introduced in this way! So don't even think about it!

Cheers!

Brandon @ HalfCafReviews

danielzchang

Feb 16, 2012
Fuzhou,China
Visit site
This is how I keep my bean in home, hope it helps.

P1010475nf.jpgP1010478nf.jpg

youronlinecoffee

Feb 27, 2012
San Francisco
Visit site
I have found that if you are buying freshly roasted coffee beans that when you get them home immediately put them into glass mason jars with ring covers. Tighten the covers and store in a dark cupboard. The off gassing of the coffee beans will work as a sealing mechanism inside the canning style jars.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I buy in bulk (5 lbs. if available) as it's a bit cheaper that way. I let coffee age 3-4 days from the actual roast date, then vacuum pack/deep freeze (-20 minimum) in 8 oz. increments. Then I simply thaw 1 pack as needed, giving it a few hrs. to reach room temperature. I average using 8 oz. in 3 days so no time to go stale.

Contrary to popular belief, if coffee is FRESH, prepped properly, then placed in deep freeze, there is no loss in quality. If frozen at 4 day point (out of roast) once thawed it should taste/smell like it's still at that 4 day point.

I started tinkering with this concept when trying to preserve decaf on a commercial level as I used very little and was tired of wasting $ and time trying to pull decent decaf espresso over a 2 week period of time (how often I ordered from roaster). I tinkered with vacuum packing/deep freezing as well as modifying the decaf grinder to be used for single dosing and found myself using decaf that was approaching 8 weeks in age, but performing/tasting like it was 2-3 days out from roast. That reduced my waste to 0% while maintaining quality as close to 100% as possible. I knew if it worked that well for PITA decaf espresso it'd work with anything. Been storing ALL coffee this way since and 0 regrets/issues.

FWIW I use a FoodSaver device, usually found at WalMart/Target for $140~. Top end vacuum/sealers can cost alot, but I find the FoodSaver to be a good middle-of-the-road option between high priced options and the lowest cost devices commonly used to vacuum seal using ZipLoc type bags, which don't work well based on previous use. Only downside with FoodSaver is cost of plastic bag material, but I have a simple rationale regarding this. 1 roll of this bag material cost $10-12 and I can use that 1 roll to vacuum pack between 15-20 lbs. of coffee. Preserving just 1 lb. of coffee pays for itself with the cost of that 1 roll... I will also say if the bag material is used sparingly, it can be cut/reused for smaller amounts of coffee, etc. so it is recyclable to a degree.

danielzchang

Feb 16, 2012
Fuzhou,China
Visit site
I have found that if you are buying freshly roasted coffee beans that when you get them home immediately put them into glass mason jars with ring covers. Tighten the covers and store in a dark cupboard. The off gassing of the coffee beans will work as a sealing mechanism inside the canning style jars.

We are almost doing the same. The most important thing is to get rid of the plastic or paper bag, no matter how good it looks. Coffee contains grease and oil, and it mass with plactic or paper bag.

Tin works fine if it is air tight.