a new most expensive coffee!

brucedavidson4

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I have just noticed Terra Nera company, launched an amazing exclusive new coffee called Uchunari, it seems to be the most expensive ever, and I'm very curious about that!
Does someone know about it? And where I can find the website?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "brucedavidson4"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website.

I did a quick "Google" search for Terra Nera Company, and I found the Uchunari coffee that you are curious about.

Here is an little of what I found:

Launched by Terra Nera the Uchunari coffee, or Peruvian civet coffee, is the world most expensive and low-production of coffees. It is made from the beans of coffee berries, which have been eaten by the Peruvian civet palm cat. The actual coffee cherries pass through the stomach of the Uchunari; indeed in their digestive tract, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. The beans are then collected by the locals washed and put to be dried on elevated tables especially built to process coffee in the jungle. These beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching £7,875 per pound (0.45kg) and presented in a very limited edition package.

Continue searching and you'll learn a lot more.

Rose

CoffeeCrazed

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
CF on 1st page of google

Hey, coffeeforums.com is on the first page of google for the term uchanari! That was quick.
I as searching to find a pic of an uchanari to see how much like the civet cats in Indonesia and Philippines and there you are. Hurry, slap some Uchanari ads on here! ;)

320px-Uchunari_Meja.jpg

Wikipedia has a good pic of the uchanari BTW. It seems to have a longer nose than the others - although I am sure no one else would be interested n such bizarre details. Haha.

WonFeri

Jun 10, 2012
Indonesia
Visit site
Uchanari, that just the other name of kopi luwak(coffee luwak). But the history about coffee luwak comes from Indonesia. Existed since the Dutch colonial era.

Last edited:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
With a background in marketing and a fascination for human psychology and why people choose A over B I would love to see a side-by-side BLIND taste test between the "pre digested" coffees and just a "good" coffee (like the El Salvador Santa Barbara Bourbon we just had a small lot of -- unbelievably good!).

I've got a feeling that the Kopi Luwak type coffees, or Jamacian Blue Mountains for that matter, wouldn't fare much, if any, (possibly worse) better a good cup of "traditional" coffee.

There is so much going on in the mind that skews our mental taste buds. This has been proven extensively in wine tastings (you've seen 'em on TV) where the $4 bottle out scores the $30 bottle. But once the tasters see they chose the cheaper instead of the more expensive they often start back-peddaling and saying, "Erm, hmmm, well now that I think of it that wine is so much nicer . . ."

I've got a friend who is a hair dresser who makes crazy money because he's got the cojones to charge $150 more than the competition for the same work. He'll tell you he's good at what he does but that the thing he does best is listen to his customers' (he only has women clients) trials and tribulations, sympathize with them, and tell them they're the best, everything is going to be great, and I'll see you in two weeks. Hey, he's cheaper than a psychiatrist and probably does as good or better work (no offense to any psychiatrists out there).

He's got a waiting list!

He only works three days a week!

For you coffee shop owners out there I suggest you have a limited edition coffee pot available for your customers. Charge $2 more per cup. Write up a little history card about the coffee. Have your baristas talk it up. I've got a feeling you'll sell more than your 'everyday' coffee. Make sure it is good coffee, Gold Cup stuff, and change it regularly. That way people will start looking forward to your next 'Limited Harvest' coffee and will line up to buy it.

By the way, that's not an original idea. A coffee shop I used to frequent in New Hampshire did that and I certainly fell, willingly, into the 'trap'. I couldn't wait to pay more, a lot more, for the next lot of small batch coffee. I was in an exclusive club. Cups of the coffee were $1.5 more. 1lb bags of the coffee were about $5 more. They sold out so fast it would make your head spin.

Try it for a week or two. You'll be amazed.

Last edited:

MasellisCoffeeHouse

Jun 2, 2012
Cross Roads TX
Visit site
" The actual coffee cherries pass through the stomach of the Uchunari; indeed in their digestive tract, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. The beans are then collected by the locals"

I don't know if that's something I'd pay extra for. LOL