Review of Gevalia Coffees

XpressoDrinker

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have just tried 3 Gevalia Coffee varieties, Karoma Estate, Velvet Noir, Stockholm Roast. All whole bean regular. I Drink "espresso" using a Saeco Aroma machine, 15 grams ground in a burr grinder.
None of these coffees agreed with my palate. I found the Karoma bland & bitter with poor after taste. The Stockholm Roast was not significantly different, although it was weaker. These two coffees had a stale taste. The Velvet Noir was the best of the three, but again left me longing for a richer, smoother, sweeter cup.

I have been drinking coffee made the same way for the past year. Generally, I have not encountered coffee that tastes poorly, although certainly I prefer some over others. Recently I have enjoyed whole bean coffees from Trader Joes, BJs, Petes, even Dunkin Donuts. Generally I prefer Colombian, Sumatra and Kona blend mixed together 1:1:1. I know many of you might have significantly different or more complex tastes.

PS: I called Gevalia this morning for a refund. Initially their system was "down". However, they called me back in 15 minutes and told me they have refunded my account.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "XpressoDrinker"

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website.

I know several people who have a Saeco Machine, and they use coffee beans that are a medium-dark roast. One person has adjusted the grind on his machine to a finer grind, and he says he's now happy with the result.

If you've been enjoying coffee beans that you've gotten from places like Trader Joes, BJs, Petes, and Dunkin Donuts, there's a good chance your coffee beans may not be fresh. Roasted coffee loses it's freshness and flavor when it's been sitting in the bags. Even Gevalia coffee has been known to stock their warehouses and send people "less than fresh" coffee from time to time.

Have you looked in your area to see if you can find a place that roasts coffee locally? That would be the best option, especially since it seems that you've been cultivating a taste for richer, smoother, sweeter cup.

There are several members of this forum who have had experience with Saeco machines. Hopefully someone will be able to share their experience (and coffee preferences) with you.

Rose