Question about beans and flavors

RichardCoffee

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Which method extracts more flavors from the bean: espresso, french press/cafetiere, or another method?

And, if I want to try different beans from different countries etc, is a french press/cafetiere the best coffee maker for this?, since a bean of any place or any roast can be brewed in it?

bcotten

Jun 22, 2012
Kernersville, NC
Visit site
LOL! This is like asking "PC or Mac?" Everyone has a preference. I'm partial to the aeropress myself. When I want the "perfect cup" that's my go-to brew device hands down (no - it's not espresso). Probably second to that is a tie between a well-pulled shot of espresso and a pour over brew.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
French Press but you have to make sure you do not let the coffee go to long or you will end up with a bitter cup of coffee.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Espresso is usually a darker roast. Darker roasts tend to highlight flavors imparted by the roasting process and not varietal characteristics inherent in the bean. If I'm drinking a single origin I'd prefer a light to medium roast through a pour over or french press.

farmroast

Jun 8, 2007
Amherst, MA.
Visit site
A coffee that you might like brewed because of the higher acidity might be too intense as espresso. To explore origin and variety flavors stick with light or med. roasts. French press is fine with a decent grinder as there wont be too many fines to muddy the cup. Otherwise use a pourover with a filter.