coffee/espresso beans in the nyc area

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
hello i am EFK and i am in the process of opening a coffee shop in my area of brooklyn ny. i would like to know what are good beans to start with and i would like local beans for best freshness. anyone have any ideas on what is a good price for beans and which beans are good for an italian themed coffee shop? all suggestions and comments are taken as good help so please post away. ty

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The prices look reasonable to me. Their certified organic offerings are in line with what we will be selling our organic/kosher beans for. Not sure of their quality, though. There is no indication of specific estate or coop producing the beans. You would need to get the beans in front of your person with knowledge of the industry. Hiring a barista/shop manager would help with these issues. That person would probably have a working knowledge of the local roasters products.

Keep in mind that coffee beans will be only a small part of your overhead. If you use the estimate of 8 grams of coffee beans for each cup, that comes to 56 cups/lb. At $2/cup, that leads to $112 in revenue for a single pound. That means a 5 lb. bag of beans will bring in around $560. That corresponds to cash outlay of $35 to $45 with prices between $7 and $9/lb.

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
hey thanks a lot for those 2 companies they are added to my list as potential suppliers for my business. thanks alot i just now have to look for an experienced barista who knows which one of these places to pick lol. you have any suggestions on where to look for baristas in brooklyn/nyc area or if you know anyone personally that would help thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
EFK

Are you sure you're ready to open your own coffee shop?

From what I'm reading, it seems like you want to find a barista who will do the work and make the decisions for you.

You should be the person to find suppliers and decide which ones are right for you. You're asking for trouble if you're expecting a barista take on all that responsibility, especially if they're only getting paid $10-$12 an hour.

If you're not willing to do the legwork, maybe should think about hiring a manager first and then find a good barista.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
EFK: If you're not the moneyman and have no knowledge about the industry, I'm not sure what value you will be adding to the project. As John said in another thread, take a year to learn about the industry and then think about opening a shop.