Sweet Versus Bitter Blends:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious... How many of you prefer sweet blends to bitter blends?

I guess it depends a lot on the circumstances, but do you have a set preference?

I definitely tend to prefer the bitter blends myself (with those times like dessert where you might prefer a sweet blend after).

What do you guys prefer?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are calling a "bitter" blend. No coffee should be bitter, imo. (And I drink my coffee black and strong w/ no sweetener.)

The last bitter cup I had was from Starbucks and I didn't finish it.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
A few brands come to mind that I would consider "Bitter". I remember Folger's being more bitter than Maxwell House. However, I haven't had a Folger's cup of coffee in years....

No coffee should be so bitter you can't drink it though. I remember in Costa Rica in some of the smaller restaurants they also roasted (close to coffee fields so why not?) too much and the coffee always came out really bitter. Some people liked it. Others not so much.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Specialty coffee has moved so far past Folgers and Maxwell House that I don't even consider them the same beverage.

You really owe it to yourself to check out a few local roasters in your area, if you haven't already.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It all goes back to my bread comparison. Imagine buying the mass produced bread at the supermarket that has a 2 week expiry and then going to a fine bakery and buying a fresh loaf just out of the oven. Both are bread but the artisian bakery bread will be soooo much better and different.
Brian

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Specialty coffee has moved so far past Folgers and Maxwell House that I don't even consider them the same beverage.

You really owe it to yourself to check out a few local roasters in your area, if you haven't already.

Yep, excellent coffee can be found. Do a little checking on "Selva Negra" here in Nicaragua. They have some of the best coffee around!