Salt in your coffee

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
What do you think of salt in your coffee.

More and more larger roasters putting salt in their roasted coffee.(starbucks did for years and other coffee roaster do too)
They attract more flavor and they become more addicting.
Salt makes your bitterness of coffee taste softer.

I didn't think it would make differences but when I did put some salt(pinch of salt per cup)it made huge differences.

Tell me what you think!!!!!!!!!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That may be one way to deal with bad coffee, but I don't think quality coffee needs salt to taste good/less bitter.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Agree... properly roasted/fresh coffee should have nothing to mask.

I for one could care less what Charbux does or has done in the past. All they do is continually find ways to screw up what could/would otherwise be good coffee. Seriously have no idea why anybody would bother buying their slop in a cup. Howard Schultz has often said they are selling an experience and IMHO that's about all you get from them.

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Agree with both of you..... I hate salt.... I am just getting sick of big corporation putting stuff in the coffee that does not belong in it..... It used to be MSG now salt... what else are they going to put in there to make people addicted to their low quality stuff.....

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Agree with both of you..... I hate salt.... I am just getting sick of big corporation putting stuff in the coffee that does not belong in it..... It used to be MSG now salt... what else are they going to put in there to make people addicted to their low quality stuff.....

Anything that will yield high profit margins regardless of quality. Try anything from McDonalds lately, as in the flavored "coffee" drinks, milkshakes, etc? I don't, but my family will occasionally get them when they're out/about. Talk about lousy... worst chocolate and caramel flavorings I've ever tried along with the unpleasant over-sweet taste of something that isn't even close to real sugar. Same with Dunkin' Donuts... sweet level/fake taste is off the charts. Honestly most of the population simply don't know any better or even care for that matter. Most want sweet and cheap.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with you... As long as they are dollar something most of the people will buy them...

I have recently purchased some type of fruity drinks from fast food chain. My kids wanted them. I tasted the drink and it was way too sweet for my kids to drink so I proceeded to add water.... I end up adding about a gallon of water to dilute the taste of about 40 oz cup of drink.... Most of these sweet drink do not have sugar in it, they all seem to use sweetner and tons of them.... I never had my kids drink that again.....

jaupro

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe im just a n00b or my snob level hasnt hit full throttle yet. But ; while I aagree a good process and refining that is the optimal solution if for nothing else the experience...the bottom line is how the coffee tastes. And if it tastes good that's really what matters.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I've been in coffee for a while...never heard of roasters putting salt in their coffee. Do you have any articles where this is stated? Not calling b.s. but like I said I have never heard of this.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Topher, I have heard it from friend of mine. He is another roaster located in Chicago area, and he told me these days when bigger roasters make blends, one of the important ingredients are salt. He himself have put some salt(very little) in one of his blend and was complimented by other Baristas and customers.... Of course he was using one of the cheap Robusta blend.