Turkish, Cuban, Vietnamese coffee Anyone????

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
As much as i drink coffee without any sugar. cream and other additive daily, I also love drinking, Cuban, Turkish, and Vietnamese coffee. They are extra sweet,(depends on how much you add) and very creamy.
How about any of you? Do others enjoy these? Are there different types of coffee people enjoy beside what we typically call coffee?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi CoffeeJunky,

I'm guessing you're referring to methods of brewing coffee. For example: Turkish coffee is a method of preparing coffee. Is there a special way Cuban or Vietnamese coffee is made???

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I love Turkish coffee. I drink it without sugar though. I am not really into sweet things. Not a fan of Cuban coffee. Every Cuban coffee I have had has been low quality coffee. I assume this is why they pack so much sugar into it. I once went to a Cuban joint for some research I was doing for some coffee blends. I ordered the left side of the menu. The server looked at me like I was crazy. She brought me all the coffee drinks the way they usually serve them. After I consumed all the coffee I asked for her to give me the same except with no sugar. I could barely stomach it. Needless to say I was jacked up for quiet some time between all the caffeine and sugar!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Hi CoffeeJunky,

I'm guessing you're referring to methods of brewing coffee. For example: Turkish coffee is a method of preparing coffee. Is there a special way Cuban or Vietnamese coffee is made???

Rose

I guess you could say this is different brewing method but also the taste too. The turkish coffee is you almost drink coffee with finely ground coffee bean. When you boil the water, they try to make sure you get enough coffee cream on the top. The cuban coffee is all about how you prepare them. It is espresso base and you whip sugar with little bit of espresso and add rest of them later. The Vietnamese coffee is same as Espresso but you add Condensed milk and you can drink it hot or cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG2xX0s41rk cuban coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqzo8TBx_w Turkish coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYVdEFfkyA Vietnamese

Different culture have different way of drinking coffee.
All three different culture drink very strong but sweet coffee.
I normally do not add that much sugar into mine but the Turkish Coffee is little too strong for my taste.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have some Vietnamese customers that come in. They do like it sweet! They order 4 shots of espresso over iced coffee cubes. They then want 4 pumps of white chocolate and 2 pumps of simple syrup topped with a splash of half and half. My teeth hurt when I watch them drink this!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes, When i make Vietnamese coffee, which my wife loves, I can only drink little of them. I try to minimize the condensed milk over ice. I actually like the black cold brewed coffee over ice.

cf77

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
We have a thai restaurant locally that does a thai coffee (hot or cold) which is essentially the same as the vietnamese style coffee. It is DELICIOUS!

Never heard of cuban coffee, will need to try. Sounds like a good excuse to dust off the moka pot!

HIM

Feb 12, 2013
Key West
Visit site
I live right down the street from a Cuban coffee/sandwich shop and enjoy their con leche, bucci, and cortaditos. Though admittedly, since I've been trying better coffees I've grown less fond of their coffee. Im no expert but I think one of the biggest differences to their style is they mix demerara sugar in as its being brewed. As topher mentioned though, the quality of beans used isnt usually too great and its the sugar and milk that make it palatable. Some more info here....Cuban espresso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cant say I've ever had Turkish or Vietnamese coffee though.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If you look at the youtube video about cuban coffee, they add whipped sugar after the brewing process. By vigorously mixing sugar with very strong coffee, it creates creamy texture. And you add hot espresso coffee to the sugar creates unique flavor. I doubt they use very high quality coffee but to make proper cuban coffee, you need to use very dark roasted coffee.....

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
In US, most of the people drink black without much. That is why I put those Youtube clips up. I love all of them but not everyday.
I think if you use the better quality coffee, the cuban coffee will be amazing...

thuynguyen

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
oh yeah many vietnamese drink so sweet coffee mix with condense milk or sugar, with/without ice. And many of them love the bitterness of Robusta coffee, but not me, I like the scent of Arabica :)