Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pour or pump flavored syrup?

I've always been at a coffee shop where there are spouts to pour the syrup. But I like how consistent pumping flavored syrup would be since every barista is not always going to pour the same amount every time. But, changing the pumps looks like it could be a pain, and I'm afraid customers would think it so.... Starbucks, you know? Almost like it's cheating and doesn't require as much skill, which I guess it doesn't because pumping syrup would be easier I guess. What do you think? Is consistency or the skill that customers see that is more important?

Super Moderator
    Maybe pouring the syrup into a shot glass would help. With the spouts in the syrup bottles, it's easy to measure the syrup using a shot glass, and it makes sure everyone is consistent in how the drinks are being made. Shot glasses are inexpensive, and much less of a pain than adding pumps. The customers like seeing that they're actually getting a shot of syrup in their drink (one ounce in most cases) With the pumps, it's hit or miss because not everyone pumps the same. Some people use more muscle than others do.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Maybe pouring the syrup into a shot glass would help. With the spouts in the syrup bottles, it's easy to measure the syrup using a shot glass, and it makes sure everyone is consistent in how the drinks are being made. Shot glasses are inexpensive, and much less of a pain than adding pumps. The customers like seeing that they're actually getting a shot of syrup in their drink (one ounce in most cases) With the pumps, it's hit or miss because not everyone pumps the same. Some people use more muscle than others do.
    Thank you for the idea! I've done shot glasses before when training, and they were just too time consuming for me. Sometimes I'd spill them, I always had to rinse them or find one, just not my cup of tea. I did not know that pumps are not always consistent though. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

yes, pinkrose is right. did try this before when i had the same problem.

flori
    blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

There are flow rated pour spouts as well, 1oz, 2oz etc at a time if you like the look o using a pour spout vs hitting a pump.

I think shot glass would be more time consuming and also cleaning could be messy if you are not constantly using the same shot but i guess you can just put in the bucket with running water before you wash them.

I think the pump is the way to go. If you train the baristas properly, it won't be much problem.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
    There are flow rated pour spouts as well, 1oz, 2oz etc at a time if you like the look o using a pour spout vs hitting a pump.
    If you're making lots of drinks using syrups, then flow-rated spouts would be a great alternative. If you only make a few drinks an hour using syrups, then using shot glasses wouldn't be too much trouble.

Even if you train the baristas on how much to pump the syrups, it's sometimes not easy to push the pumps down, and that's where people tend to pump less.

There are always ups and downs to each method but I think it would be preference of the owner and the baristas. I prefer pump over others. Just my preference

i may have to go with pump. easy and not messy

flori
    blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

When we consider consistency, pouring is more consistent than pumping. The more the baristas push to pump down, he or she tend to pump less. But it depends upon the training.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links