Pour or pump flavored syrup?

serena

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I've always been at a coffee shop where there are spouts to pour the syrup. But I like how consistent pumping flavored syrup would be since every barista is not always going to pour the same amount every time. But, changing the pumps looks like it could be a pain, and I'm afraid customers would think it so.... Starbucks, you know? Almost like it's cheating and doesn't require as much skill, which I guess it doesn't because pumping syrup would be easier I guess. What do you think? Is consistency or the skill that customers see that is more important?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Maybe pouring the syrup into a shot glass would help. With the spouts in the syrup bottles, it's easy to measure the syrup using a shot glass, and it makes sure everyone is consistent in how the drinks are being made. Shot glasses are inexpensive, and much less of a pain than adding pumps. The customers like seeing that they're actually getting a shot of syrup in their drink (one ounce in most cases) With the pumps, it's hit or miss because not everyone pumps the same. Some people use more muscle than others do.

serena

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe pouring the syrup into a shot glass would help. With the spouts in the syrup bottles, it's easy to measure the syrup using a shot glass, and it makes sure everyone is consistent in how the drinks are being made. Shot glasses are inexpensive, and much less of a pain than adding pumps. The customers like seeing that they're actually getting a shot of syrup in their drink (one ounce in most cases) With the pumps, it's hit or miss because not everyone pumps the same. Some people use more muscle than others do.

Thank you for the idea! I've done shot glasses before when training, and they were just too time consuming for me. Sometimes I'd spill them, I always had to rinse them or find one, just not my cup of tea. :) I did not know that pumps are not always consistent though. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think shot glass would be more time consuming and also cleaning could be messy if you are not constantly using the same shot but i guess you can just put in the bucket with running water before you wash them.

I think the pump is the way to go. If you train the baristas properly, it won't be much problem.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
There are flow rated pour spouts as well, 1oz, 2oz etc at a time if you like the look o using a pour spout vs hitting a pump.

If you're making lots of drinks using syrups, then flow-rated spouts would be a great alternative. If you only make a few drinks an hour using syrups, then using shot glasses wouldn't be too much trouble.

Even if you train the baristas on how much to pump the syrups, it's sometimes not easy to push the pumps down, and that's where people tend to pump less.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
When we consider consistency, pouring is more consistent than pumping. The more the baristas push to pump down, he or she tend to pump less. But it depends upon the training.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Once upon a time, I was putting away a bunch of heavy supplies, and I hurt my shoulder. For several weeks, pushing on the syrup pumps was painful, and I know I was short on most of the pumps. Another barista hurt his wrist when he was moving some tables as he was sweeping the floor, and he admitted that for a couple of weeks, pushing on the syrup pumps was a "pain" and he was short on some of the pumping.

Sometimes baristas are talking, or get distracted, and just lose track of how many times they've pumped the syrup.

Pouring (and measuring) the syrup is more consistent. It really has little to do with the training. Even when people are trained, and they know how much to pump, it doesn't always work out that way.

Rose