Gevalia Mocha Latte

seannymurrs

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I recently started using our Keurig machine more in an effort to save money instead of making multiple stops at Starbucks each day. We both enjoy "fancy drinks" such as lattes. Last week we discovered the Mocha Latte "kits" that Gevalia sells. I say "kit" because it comes with both a k-cup and a little pouch of powder that looks like hot cocoa powder but has something in it that causes the drink to foam up like a latte when the coffee is added. We absolutely LOVE them. What I'm trying to figure out is if the powder portion of this, or something similar, is available to purchase on its own. While the Gevalia kits are cheaper than Starbucks, it would be even cheaper to be able to use any k-cup we happen to have on hand and simply use the powder turn it into a latte. I know it's a longshot but I hoped someone on here might know of something that will work. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
The stuff you buy at starbucks is made with espresso, cocoa powder/syrup, steamed milk, and usually topped with whipped cream. A moka pot is a cheap way of brewing something close to espresso. Put some milk in a mason jar, shake it up, and heat it in the microwave to get something similar to steamed milk.
I received a couple of sample k-cups in the mail a while ago. Not having a k-cup kind of brewer I cut the foil off the cups to salvage the coffee. One cup marked as Colombian had coffee grounds and a little paper filter inside. The other cup marked as mocha some such had instant coffee, a sweet cocoa mix, what seemed to be powdered milk, a couple little slivers of dark chocolate and no filter. I've noticed some instant coffees foam up pretty good, I don't know if they are adding something to it or if trapped air is being released as it dissolves.
I've made swiss miss hot chocolate with coffee before. It wasn't bad... kinda sweet. This recipe that uses less hot chocolate mix and some milk looks interesting.
How to Make a Cheap Mocha Latte | eHow

carolinaagain

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I love Gevalia mocha kits! I work from home and I drink two of them a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. So it gets expensive! I've managed to come up with a way to make a similar homemade version...it's a little more of a hassle obviously, but it's really good in the end.

I'll put cold milk in a coffee cup and then use a little hand blender thing that I have to whip it up into a thick cream type consistency (not sure how to describe the consistency that you get when you whip up milk). Then I warm it a few seconds in the microwave. Stick it under the keurig and brew your favorite coffee into it. Now when you whip the milk up, it raises to almost the top of the cup (it's filled with air now) so watch the coffee when it's dripping into the cup, it might overflow if you don't stir the whipped milk down a little at the same time. When the coffee is brewed into the whipped up warm milk, I add a little bit of dark cocoa powder and splenda (or sugar), mix it up and I have a creamy chocolaty poor-man's latte :coffee: