Weaker brewing

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
The family thinks 2 Tbsp of coffee grounds per cup is too strong. They like 23 grams of Folgers in the Mr coffee 12 cup drip machine. They prefer 21grams of coffee that I roast for the drip machine. So if I brew a single cup for one of them, would I use 6 grams of coffee grounds for a cup instead of the normal 2 tbsp/12 grams per cup to equal the strength of the 12 cup drip machine?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
There are several factors that you need to consider.

Folgers coffee doesn't compare to coffee that you've roasted and ground yourself. I'm not surprised that they prefer that you use less of "your" coffee than you use when using the Folgers.

Your references to grams and tablespoons are confusing.

When you use tablespoons, are they measuring spoons like you would use when baking a cake? Do you round the coffee in the spoon or do you level it flat?

When you brew a single cup, do you use the Mr. Coffee 12-cup machine, or are you using a smaller single cup brewer? There is a huge difference. The 12 cup brewers aren't meant to brew a single cup of coffee. The brew basket is too big, and the coffee grounds (2 level tablespoons) wouldn't get the right exposure to the water as it flows through them.

As with most coffee brewing, you're going to need to experiment, and have your family do taste tests, to find out how much coffee you'll need to use.

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
My family prefers my roasted coffee, but prefers weak instead of SCAA measurements. I weighed 1 tbsp and it comes out to be 6 grams. The folders scoop measures 23 g of weight. The Mr coffee makes the whole 12 cups in the big basket. If I use any more than 23g of grinds, they complain about the strength. I was too tired to grind for then last night and they used folgers. They didn't like folgers taste. I single brew either pour over or aeropress

Last edited:

BlueMoods

Feb 1, 2014
USA
Visit site
Sounds like my family. I like a rich, robust cup of coffee, 2 TBS or about 12 to 14 grams per cup but they think that is espresso and hate it. They like 6-7 grams per cup with my medium roast and, don't want my dark roast at all. I'd go with 6-7 grams and see how they like it, that should be fine for them. And yes that old Folgers will tasty rusty or muddy after you get used to good coffee.