butter

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
People just can't leave plain 'ole coffee alone. They should just leave the coffee out of it, and blend the Brain Octane Oil with the butter and call it a day.

It's $18.95 for a 12 oz bag of Bulletproof upgraded coffee, and $49.95 for the Bulletproof Upgraded Brain Octane Oil. When you add in the cost of the grass-fed, unsalted butter, each cup of coffee better produce a whole lot of "mental clarity" - because it's one expensive cup of coffee!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
It doesn't sound appealing to me either, but know several people who say the taste isn't bad at all. They also say that by adding butter and the MCT oil, it spreads out the effect of the caffeine over many hours, and that's what they like the most.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I've done the butter in coffee, as well as butter + mct oil. I've never purchased their coffee though so i can't speak to that. As far as the butter and butter+mct, I certainly get a nice boost.

Speaking on just coffee and butter: The feeling I get from this is not surprising, and i don't think doing butter in coffee, or having coffee and butter separate is different. IE. I could have a cup of coffee and just suck on a stick of butter for the same effect. I just do coffee+butter on days I'm not doing breakfast for some reason (as it makes me feel full and energetic easily into the afternoon).

When adding in the MCT oil, I definitely get a really clean headed boost in focus...like energy behind the eyes. I don't know how to describe it other than that - kind of like some energy drinks, but without the crappy feelings that accompany those. Now - this could be placebo, but that would be fine with me.

With all that being said, I dont think any of it tops a good nights rest, a solid breakfast, and a regular fresh cup of coffee - but it certainly can help from time to time.

Speaking to the flavor - in concept it's not that different from something like a cappuccino. I enjoy espresso by itself, but I also enjoy a cappuccino because the combined flavors are a unique experience. Good butter in coffee is deliciously smooth - but of course it affects the flavor. Some combinations end up being better than others.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, butter comes from cream. Coffee creamer is 18% cream and whipping cream is 33% so butter has to be higher than that. You can make butter yourself just by putting the cream into a jar and shaking long enough till the butter seperates. Just an observation and have never tried it.

gingerman

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Forget the brand of the coffee. I tried this, andit ain't bad. All the organic and grain fed crappie isn't needed. It actually tastes like, only slightly greasy, regular American coffee. The alertness is spread over a longer time, probably because the fat slows absorption, and provides a great source of energy on its own.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

IslandRoast

Dec 5, 2013
Carolina Beach, NC
Visit site
Adding butter to coffee is a new thing in the sports world also. My kid teaches sports nutrition at a large gym where Olympic athletes and MMA fighters train, he was telling me about the coffee/butter mix a couple of months ago.