Does anyone have tips for ice blended espresso drinks?

hobbit411

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

So my coffee shop is having some trouble with ice blended drinks. We fill the cup with ice, milk about 3/4th the way, add espresso and syrup/sauce of choice then blend. We have tried variations of this but can't seem to have a good quality turn out. The main issue is separation after the drink is served. The icy part of the drink rises to the top and whatever begins to melt does so quickly and ends up at the bottom, looking icky and lacking the quality it should have.

I live in Lakewood, CO and have visited several shops in Denver and Golden to try blended drinks, and honestly they seem to always have the same problem as well so I can't find much help there. The only place with good blended drinks in my experience is Starbucks (I am sorry to even say that...). If anyone happens to have some good tips regarding measurements/cup size, how to avoid separation, tips for blending, etc... Anything helps. I just want to serve a good blended drink.

Thank you!!

Hobbit411

DrumsOfGrohl

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

So my coffee shop is having some trouble with ice blended drinks. We fill the cup with ice, milk about 3/4th the way, add espresso and syrup/sauce of choice then blend. We have tried variations of this but can't seem to have a good quality turn out. The main issue is separation after the drink is served. The icy part of the drink rises to the top and whatever begins to melt does so quickly and ends up at the bottom, looking icky and lacking the quality it should have.

I live in Lakewood, CO and have visited several shops in Denver and Golden to try blended drinks, and honestly they seem to always have the same problem as well so I can't find much help there. The only place with good blended drinks in my experience is Starbucks (I am sorry to even say that...). If anyone happens to have some good tips regarding measurements/cup size, how to avoid separation, tips for blending, etc... Anything helps. I just want to serve a good blended drink.

Thank you!!

Hobbit411

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it might. The ice melts very easily because of the espresso. However, if you wait until the espresso shot is pulled, mix it with the rest of the ingredients (milk, etc.), THEN add ice, you'll end up with less water.

Let me know if this helps.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
What are you using for milk/creamer?

It seems to me like half&half works best for our iced coffees, as far as separation goes.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello!

You said you've tried all sorts of variations. What kind of blender are you using?

Have you tried blending the espresso with the milk and syrup first to cool it down, and then add the ice to the blender and blend it all together? It should come out with a smooth consistency, and it shouldn't separate.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Norwegian ice has the perfect sized molecules to give a pleasant mouthfeel, but I'm not sure that matters in this case. Fat content has my vote. And I'm not sure that Norwegian ice has more fat than the Nepalese ice we have been importing.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Sorry for a second reply. The tittle says blended drink but you did not say blended in your post.

Most at blended drinks are made with a binder to slow down the sepration.

Mr. Smoothie and other sell a plain binder for blended drinks or you can get flavored from them.

Hi!

We do a fair amount of blended drinks here in the summer, and after a lot of trial and error we have a good system figured out. The runny/separation issue has to do with two factors – the temperature of your mix before you add your ice, and the fat content of your mix. If you pour your espresso directly into your ice, you will have too much melting going on and you will end up with a runny drink. The less fat that you use in your drinks, the more it will separate. The process we do is as follows: 1. Add syrup/flavours to the blender 2. Add espresso directly into the syrup 3. Add cream (10% table cream is what we use) 4. Add a cup full of ice 5. Blend. This usually ends up with a nice creamy, thick drink that doesn’t separate. If someone wants skim (blegh!) we always tell them it will be runny and/or separated. We also do these with Almond Milk for our vegan customers and give them the same warning, although they turn out better than something made with skim or 2%. We had an issue for a while where we were using a loaner espresso machine as ours was in the shop, and the shots poured hotter than what we were used to. This created runnier drinks too as the ice melted even after the espresso was cooled by the cream.
Anyways, that’s my two cents – hope it helps!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If you put the espresso, syrup, and milk into the blender first and give it a quick whirl, it cools the mixture down enough. Then, add the ice and blend. This works with 2% milk. I've never tried it with skim milk.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
ice is always added last and it also depends on the type/size. I use half cube which works great in my blender. If you are using cubelet or pearl ice you will get a watery drink. Also depends on your blender setting and how the series of blends. Only using one high setting for a period of time will turn the ice to water. I use a Blendtec Q series that is programmed for dr. Smoothie recipes which work on any type of frozen drinks. No watery drinks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Also, how the ice is being stored makes a difference. If you're going in and out of an ice bin fetching ice all day, it starts to melt and it gets watery on the surface. The length of time blending needs to be adjusted slightly if you're using watery-looking ice. The ice is going to break down and "blend" faster and make a slushy instead of a blended drink.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
2 tbs sweet condensed milk
3 oz table cream
16 oz cold brew coffee
Blend
add coffee ice cubes
Optional topping of Chocolate whipped cream sprinkled with Turbinado sugar w/ vanilla infused sea salt