Saudi Coffee?

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been serving a coffee break (out of a mobile coffee truck) for an intensive English program at the local college for the past two weeks. There are a lot of students from Saudi Arabia and other middle east countries. I would like to offer them something that would taste like the coffee from home so I need some help here. How can I get a middle eastern coffee taste from the equipment I already have? I have an espresso machine, grinders, and brewers already so what do you suggest?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Do you get a chance to talk to the students during their break?

If it's an intensive English program, they probably know some English already.
If so, then they can tell you how the coffee is made in their country.

But, maybe they prefer their coffee the way it's made here instead. You have good intentions, but you may be wasting your time and energy if it really doesn't make a difference to them.

hanytrade

Mar 23, 2013
Egypt
Visit site
in suadi they used to drink arabian coffee which is :

2/3 grinding coffee (yellow colore roasted ) 1/3 grinding cardmom
sure you will ask what kind of coffee . my answer is use any kind of coffee becuse the cardmom will cover most taste and aroma
you can add a few few crocus
poil them ( coffee . cardmom . crocus ) 5 small spoon per liter then refinery and keep them hot in any tea thermos

thats it.

Last edited:

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I understand that cardamom is the important ingredient. So I'm wondering if there is a way to add the cardamom to the espresso pull that gets the flavor that they are familiar with. I have a couple of the students who have told me how they make it at home but I'm trying to make it with an espresso machine as I don't have a way to boil the coffee separately or do a Turkish Coffee pot.

The students are trying a number of American / Italian style coffee drinks and they have found a few that they like. Several of them are asking for "Arab" coffee so I'm looking for ways that not only can I sell more coffee to the students but also have another drink to offer to my regular customers who like to try different styles of coffee.

hanytrade

Mar 23, 2013
Egypt
Visit site
in case arabian coffee
f your espresso machine has vacume so put water and very very light coffee ( yellow ) and cardmon . and use vacume to boil them or 95 c at least then filter them.

in case any other coffee the cardmom and thick body is the key

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "sidg"

In your first post, you mentioned that you have a coffee brewer in addition to an espresso machine. You could try doubling the amount of ground coffee that you put into the brew basket to make the coffee strong, and then add the cardamon in with the grounds. Since the cardamon is going to be the dominant flavor, the strong coffee may be something similar to what the students are used to. You'd need to have a designated pot for this creation because it will be hard to get the cardamon aroma out of the brew pot.

If you have a spare electrical outlet, you could try it with a cheap Mr. Coffee machine first.