espresso and milk ( still confusing )

hanytrade

Mar 23, 2013
Egypt
Visit site
hi every body here

as you know the acidity is not Desirable with milk , and as you know the acidity being still appear in light roast.
in case use milk to coffee like cappatcuno latte etc i read some topic advice to use the light roast coffee.

my question is why not use low accidity beans or medium colour to reduce the acidity in case add milk
or what is the right rules when i add milk ?
iam afraid i miss something .

other question is using filter coffee better way to use with milk ?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Hannytrade,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you afraid that adding milk to your coffee will harm it?

The acidity in coffee doesn't curdle (harm) the milk that you add to your coffee. Cappuccinos and lattes contain milk that is added to the espresso coffee and the espresso coffee does not curdle (or harm the milk). People add milk to their coffee all of the time. No matter how you make your coffee (espresso, drip, French Press, Moka Pot) you can add milk to it without worrying about harming it. There is no acid in the coffee that would curdle the milk.

The word acidity is used to describe a flavor in the coffee, not an actual acid content. Coffee is relatively low in acid. Its pH averages around 5.0 - 5.1, which is more neutral than beer or any fruit juice and similar to carbonated water.

If you do some research for the words acidity and coffee you will find a lot of websites that explain it.

You don't need to spend extra money on coffee that is advertised as being low acid, and you don't need to use light roasted beans.

The roast affects the flavor (acid tones). You can read some of the descriptions of the various "acid" flavors here:
The Coffee Heretic: Coffee Acidity

I hope this helps,

Rose

hanytrade

Mar 23, 2013
Egypt
Visit site
thank you rose for your reply about and info about acidity

my question with other way to understand what i mean. is the espresso which add to capacino or latte is the same espresso which be drunk alone. or there are some advices about coffee orgine ?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The shot of espresso that is in cappuccinos and lattes is the same espresso that people drink alone. Some people like their espresso plain, and some people like it with steamed milk.

If you do a search on this Forum for espresso beans, or espresso blends you will see that we have had many discussions about what kind of beans to use for making espresso. Here is one reply that may help you:

http://www.coffeeforums.com/forum/coffee-beans-espresso-beans/13074-typical-espresso-beans.html

Last edited: