Any idea how one would make a copycat of this

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah I will tell you how I make mine... I dump a handful of Hershey kisses into my grinder along with my favorite SO espresso blend and grind away. Dose, tamp and extract like usual and watch out.

Coffee is water based, but I've extracted some ristrettos so tight that I got quite a bit of oil out of the puck. So much there were small globs floating around in the crema. Can honestly tell you the taste was far from as awesome as it appeared.

Years ago we subscribed to Gevalia and they had a "caffe mocha" drip type coffee that had small bits of cocao nibs in the coffee and it would slowly melt when extracted. Was actually quite good and not at all sweet, more like an unsweetened baker's chocolate.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
When I make what I call a Mocha, I make a thick mixture of powdered chocolate - Cadbury or Ghirdelli - with some chocolate flavoring syrup like Torani. There's a couple tablespoons of that mixture in the cup, and I pull a double shot into it. That then gets topped with microform.

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Will either of these be good to refrigerate for several days before consumption? Because generally when I'm at my machine I prefer to make a latte, I'd use these for taking to work, etc.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I hope people realize I was kidding about the chocolate in my grinder, lmao. OTOH one could use chocolate shavings and do a Cuban style extraction in which you would grind/dose half of your coffee in the basket, lay down a bed of chocolate shavings and top with remaining ground coffee. Then tamp and extract like normal. Of course that can create a mess when some of the remnants get sucked up into the 3-way in your Silvia, but it is possible to extract this way. Some may say that is a waste as you can simply extract into a demitasse that has chocolate already in it, but as with a Cuban style shot (raw sugar in the grounds) the end result will be different when extracted with the flavoring mixed in with the ground coffee.

Experiment with a few different preparations until you find one you like.

Mhippo

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I realized the coffee and chocolate couldn't be ground together, because chocolate melts at a lower temperature than grinding the coffee generates... I would have actually tried putting the chocolate all the way at the bottom, is there any advantage to putting it in the middle? (And I use the Ascaso Steel Uno, not the Silvia...)

Bacchus

Nov 9, 2014
No. California
Visit site
I was born lazy, I guess. I just put 20 grams of Peet's Espresso Forte in my Clever Dripper and a packet of Swiss Miss in my mug. I pour 12 oz of water (I lose 1 3/4 oz to the filter & grounds) and end up with a 10 1/4oz mocha. Pretty simple....:)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I was born lazy, I guess. I just put 20 grams of Peet's Espresso Forte in my Clever Dripper and a packet of Swiss Miss in my mug. I pour 12 oz of water (I lose 1 3/4 oz to the filter & grounds) and end up with a 10 1/4oz mocha. Pretty simple....:)

You'd be amazed at how many people do exactly that!

When I first started drinking coffee, I started out by adding some coffee to my Swiss Miss hot chocolate. It was pretty good that way. Eventually I stopped using the Swiss Miss, and graduated to drinking plain old coffee.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
You'd be amazed at how many people do exactly that!

When I first started drinking coffee, I started out by adding some coffee to my Swiss Miss hot chocolate. It was pretty good that way. Eventually I stopped using the Swiss Miss, and graduated to drinking plain old coffee.

Don't you just love that she graduated? lol. We have to love Rose. ;)
I still do drink those time to time but not as often as I did in few years back.
I always try to have good coffee near me but when I am out of them and my choices are very minimal, thats when I whip out hot chocolate mix..lol